Varyvonchyk D. V., Shevchenko V. L.
CANCER HAZARD AND MORBIDITY OF WORKERS OF THE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM
SI «Institute for Occupational Health of NAMS of Ukraine», Kiev
Full article (PDF), UKR
Systemic studies on the assessment of the cancer hazard for workers of the health care system have not been conducted by the present time, no factors and risks of cancer morbidity in workers are defined and there are not available scientifically ground¬ed measures on prevention of such work-related pathology. So, the above-mentioned reasons point to the actuality of the present study.
Purpose. Аnalysis of modern scientific data on the cancer hazard and morbidity of workers, engaged in the health care system. Materials. A systemic examination of the scientific data concerning the assessment of the exposure of health workers to can¬cer factors at workplace and their part in the etiology of developing work-related malignant neoplasms has been conducted. The selection of the scientific information was made with the use of the scientific sources: «PubMed» database, abstract database «Dzherelo», electronic library of the Russian Federation «eLIBRARY», the search system «Google Scholar», data¬bases of the WHO and IARC.
Results. The results of the studies point to the presence of the effect of a great number of chemical, physical, biological factors of the work environment on medical workers, presenting a cancer hazard for this economic activity, being a cause of develop¬ment of work-related cancer pathology. The above-mentioned requires identification of the cancer hazard for different spe¬cialized services of the health care system, which will make it possible to elaborate purposeful and differentiated measures of preventing development of work-related cancer pathology in medical workers of this branch of economic activity as far as to the stage of the cancer risk determination. This will be a direction of further studies.
Key words: health care system, cancer hazard, cancer morbidity, medical workers
- Cardo, D. M., Culver, D. H., Ciesielski, C. A. 1977, «A case-control study of HIV seroconversion in health care workers after percutaneous exposure», New Engl. J. Medic, Vol. 337, no. 21, pp. 1485-1490.
- 2012, «A Review of Human Carcinogens: Arsenic, Metals, Fibres, and Dusts», IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, Vol. 100 C, 501 p.
- 2012, «A Review of Human Carcinogens: Biological Agents. IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans», Vol. 100 B, 475 p.
- 2012, «A Review of Human Carcinogens: Chemical Agents and Related Occupations: Formaldehyde», IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, Vol. 100 F, pp. 401-435.
- 2012, «A Review of Human Carcinogens: Pharmaceuticals», IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, Vol. 100 A, 435 p.
- 2012, «A Review of Human Carcinogens: Radiation», IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, Vol. 100 D, 341 p.
- 2012, «A Review of Human Carcinogens: Solar and ultraviolet radiation», IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, Vol. 100 D, pp. 35-101.
- Moretti, M., Bonfiglioli, R., Feretti, D. 2011, «A study protocol for the evaluation of occupational mutagenic/carcinogenic risks in subjects exposed to antineoplastic drugs: a multicentric project», BMC Public. Health, no. 11, p. 195.
- Sottani, C., Porro, B., Comelli, M. 2010, «An analysis to study trends in occupational exposure to antineoplastic drugs among health care workers», J. Chromatogr. B. Analyt. Technol. Biomed. Life. Sci, Vol. 878, no. 27, pp.2593-2605.
- Belkic, K., Nedic, O. 2012, «Night work, total occupational burden and cancer/cardiovascular risk factors in physicians», Med. Pregl, Vol. 65, no. 11-12, pp. 461-469.
- Belkic;, K., Nedic, O. 2007, «Workplace stressors and lifestyle-related cancer risk factors among female physicians: assessment using the Occupational Stress Index», J. Occup. Health, Vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 61-71.
- Burnett, C., Robinson, C., Waalker, J. 1999, «Cancer mortality in health and science technicians», Am. J. Ind. Med, Vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 155-158.
- Calero, L., Brusis, T.. 2003, «Laryngeal papillomatosis - first recognition in Germany as an occupational disease in an operating room nurse», Laryngor- hinootologie, Vol. 82, no. 11, pp. 790-793.
- Cancer prevention, 2013, WHO, Access: http:// www.who.int/cancer/ prevention/en.
- Choudat, D. 1994, «Occupational lung diseases among dental technicians», Tuber. Lung. Dis., Vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 99-104.
- Costa, G. 2012, «Management of shift and night work in hospital», G. Ital. Med. Lav. Ergon, Vol. 34, no. 3, Suppl, pp. 257-259.
- Exposures by industry and agent, 2010, CAREX, FIOH, Access: http://www.ttl.fi/en/chemical_safety/ carex/Documents/4_exposures_by_industry_and_ agent.pdf.
- Fronteira, I., Ferrinho, P. 2011, «Do nurses have a different physical health profile? A systematic review of experimental and observational studies on nurses' physical health», J. Clin. Nurs, Vol. 20, no. 17-18, pp. 2404-2424.
- Hansen, J., Stevens, R.G. 2012, «Case-control study of shift-work and breast cancer risk in Danish nurses: impact of shift systems” Eur. J. Cancer, Vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 1722-1729.
- Hepatitis, C. 1997, «New guidelines on precautions, follow-up», OR Manager, Vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 38-39.
- Linet, M. S.,Kim, K. P, Miller, D. L.2010, «Historical review of occupational exposures and cancer risks in medical radiation workers», Radiat. Res, Vol. 174, no. 6, pp. 793-808.
- Hofmann, F., Kralj, N., Beie, M. 2002, «Needle stick injuries in health care-frequency causes und preventive strategies», Gesundheitswesen, Vol. 64, no. 5, pp. 259-266.
- Hygiene and occupational health of workers. 2009, Manual., (Ed.: V.F. Moskalenko, O. Yavorovsky). Kyiv: Meditsina,176 p. (in Ukrainian).
- Soylemez, H., Sancaktutar A. A., Silay, S. M. 2013, «Knowledge and attitude of European urology residents about ionizing radiation”, Urology, Vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 30-35.
- Kundiyev, Yu. I., Nagorna, A. M., Varyvonchyk, D. V., 2008, Occupational cancer: epidemiology and prevention. Kyiv: Naukova Dumka, 336 p. (in Ukrainian).
- Kundiyev Yu. I., Nahorna, A. M. 2006, Occupational health in Ukraine: an epidemiological analysis. Kyiv: Avicenna, 316 p. (in Ukrainian).
- Luckhaupt, S. E., Calvert, G. M. 2008 «Deaths due to blood-borne infections and their sequelae among health-care workers», Am. J. Ind. Med, Vol. 51, no. 11, pp. 812-824.
- Mahboob, M., Rahman, M. F., Rekhadevi, P. V. 2012, «Monitoring of oxidative stress in nurses occupationally exposed to antineoplastic drugs», Toxicol. Int., Vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 20-24.
- Lie, J. A., Kjuus, H., Zienolddiny, S. 2011, «Night work and breast cancer risk among Norwegian nurses: assessment by different exposure metrics», Am. J. Epidemiol, Vol. 173, no. 11, pp. 1272-1279.
- Sottani, C., Porro, B., Imbriani, M. 2012, «Occupational exposure to antineoplastic drugs in four Italian health care settings», Toxicol. Lett., Vol. 213, no. 1, pp. 107-115.
- Kim, K. P, Miller, D. L., Balter, S. 2008, «Health Occupational radiation doses to operators performing cardiac catheterization procedures», Health. Phys, Vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 211-227.
- Naidu, L. S., Singhal, S., Preece, D. E. 2005, «Radiation exposure to personnel performing endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography», Postgrad. Med. J., Vol. 81, no. 960, pp. 660-662.
- Styczynski, J., Koltan, S., Wysocki, M. 1999, «Risk of HCV infections among children with cancer and health-care workers in children's hospitals», Infection, Vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 36-38.
- Peplonska, B., Bukowska, A., Sobala, W. 2012, «Rotating night shift work and mammographic density», Cancer. Epidemiol. BioSeroepidemiology of herpes virus infections among dental personnel, Vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 1028-1037.
- Herbert, A. M., Bagg, J., Walker, D.bM. 1995, «Seroepidemiology of herpes virus infections among dental personnel», J. Dent., Vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 339342.
- Simning, A., van Wijngaarden. 2007, «Literature review of cancer mortality and incidence among dentists», Occup. Environ. Med, Vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 432-438.
- Steinfort, D. P, Einsiedel, P.,Irving L. B. 2010, «Radiation dose to patients and clinicians during fluoroscopically-guided biopsy of peripheral pulmonary lesions», Respir. Care, Vol. 55, no. 11, pp. 1469-1474.
- Varella, S. D., Rampazo, R. A., Varanda, E. A. 2008, «Urinary mutagenicity in chemical laboratory workers exposed to solvents», J. Occup. Health, Vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 415-422.
- Vecchio, D. A., Sasco, J., Cann, C. I. 2003, «Occupational risk in health care and research», Am. J. Ind. Med, Vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 369-397.
- Venneri, L., Foffa, I., Sicari, R. 2009, «Papillary thyroid carcinoma of an interventional cardiologist. A case report», Recenti. Prog. Med, Vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 80-83.