Basanets A. V.1, Bulavko M. M.2
DEFORMING OSTEOARTHRITIS AS AN OCCUPATIONAL DISEASE IN MINING INDUSTRY WORKERS: THE CURRENT STATE OF THE PROBLEM
1State Institution "Institute for Occupational Health of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine", Kyiv
2Lviv regional hospital
Full article (PDF), UKR
Introduction. The development of osteoarthritis and its complications is a serious medical and social problem, and that of deforming osteoarthritis (DA) of occupational origin, pathogenesis of cartilage damages, due to exposure to physical factors of the working environment at DA, early diagnosis of this disease, are poorly studied.
Purpose of work. Analysis and summary of the current state of DA problem in literature sources as a professionally caused disease in the mining industry workers.
Materials and methods. An analytical review of scientific publications was carried out; the current state of the problem in general, and directly in the context of the DA as an occupational disease, was studied in national and foreign specialized publications. Also work conditions and clinical symptoms of DA in underground miners were investigated.
Results. DA is the most common chronic degenerative joint disease that has often a progressive course, leads to limitation of work efficiency, deterioration in the quality of life and disability. In Ukraine, DA makes 32,0 % of the number of all diseases of the musculoskeletal system; in the working population it makes 17,5 %. Epidemiological studies on occupational factors among coal industry workers have shown several combinations of physical factors associated with arthrosis. The most significant group of factors, causing disorders of the locomotor apparatus in miners, consists of two components: hard physical labor and the forced working posture. The pathogenesis of all types of DA is presented by internal (connective tissue dysplasia, metabolic disorders and nutritional disorders of bones and cartilage, endocrine disorders, chronic infectious processes, medical comorbidity) and external factors (long-term low temperature exposure, permanent injuries and other harmful working conditions). Instrumental methods allow to accurately assess the existing changes and their part in the articular structures at DA. The study made it possible to examine advantages and disadvantages of the existing methods of DA diagnosis (X-ray, arthroscopy, ultrasound, CT, MRI). There have been considered main measures of the primary, secondary and tertiary prevention and rehabilitation of patients with DA of occupational etiology
Conclusions. DA problem, being of occupational pathology, is still poorly understood. There is little coverage of early verification of the diagnosis, diagnostic criteria of trophic disorders in the joint tissue by the key minerals content. The existing publications do not contain any diagnostic data on the use of MRI-3D for erarly joint lesions in workers, exposed to high physical loads. There is a need in more specific study of the cartilage damage pathogenesis due to exposure to physical factors in the production environment. It is necessary to improve the system of early detection and prevention of DA, including, also, at the stage of periodic medical examinations.
Key words: deforming arthrosis, gonarthrosis, occupational disease, workers of mining industry, criteria of early diagnosis, preventive measures
- Kundiyev, Y. I., Nahorna, A. M., Dobrovolskyi, L. O. 2009. "Comparative characteristics of occupational diseases in Ukraine and in the world", Ukr. J. Occup. Health, no. 2 (18), pp. 3–11 (in Ukrainian).
- The draft Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine "On approval and introduction of medical and technological documents for standardization of medical care at osteoarthritis". Electronic resource, access mode: http://www.moz.gov.ua/ua/portal/dn_20160121_0. html (in Ukrainian).
- Mukhin, V. V., Strelnikov, M. A., Kharkovenko, N. M. [et al.]. 2010, Occupational diseases in workers of the coal industry in Ukraine. Health of workers. Donetsk: FLP Dimitrenko, pp. 236–244 (in Ukrainian).
- Haponyuk, S. P., Ochman, P. P., Chebukin, V. M. 2008. "The experience in treating patients with knee joint osteoarthrosis", Medycyna transportu Ukrainy, no. 3, pp. 69–72 (in Ukrainian).
- Kovalenko, V. M., Bortkevych, O. P. 2011. "Osteoarthrosis and pain: State of the problem". Bol’. Sustavy. Pozvonochnyk, no. 1 (01), Electronic resource, access mode: http://www.mifua.com/archive/article/16189
- Dzyak, G. V., Simonova, T. A.,Hetman, M. G. [et al.]. 2008, "Modern therapy of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthrosis". Medytsyna transportu Ukrayiny, no. 3, pp. 75–78 (in Ukrainian).
- Andrukhova, R. V. Boboshko, R. A., Nedylko, Yu. V. [et al.]. 2006, "Osteoarthrosis in the elderly persons. Choice of treatment", no. 1, pp. 60–62 (in Russian).
- Sokolova, M. P. 2011. "Evaluation the effectiveness of periodic medical examinations of workers in hazardous and dangerous conditions". Ukr. J. Ocсup. Health, no. 1 (25), pp. 46–52 (in Ukrainian).
- Seidler, A., BolmAudorff, U., Abolmaali N. [et al.]. 2008. "The role of cumulative physical work load in symptomatic knee osteoarthritis – a casecontrol study in Germany". J. Occud. Med. Toxicol., v. 14, pp. 3–14.
- Teichtahl, A. J., Smith, S., WangY. [et al.]. 2015. "Occupational risk factors for hip osteoarthritis are associated with early hip structural abnormalities: a 3.0 T magnetic resonance imaging study of communitybased adults". Arthr. Res. & Ther., no. 17 (1), p. 19.
- Van Ginckel, A., Witvrouw, E. 2013. "Acute Cartilage Loading Responses After an In Vivo Squatting Exercise in People With Doubtful to Mild Knee Osteoarthritis: A CaseControl Study". Phys. Ther., v. 93, pp. 1049–1060.
- Coqqon, D., Croft, P., Kellinqrav, S. 2000. "Occupational physical activities and osteoarthritis of the knee". Arthr. Rheumatol., no. 43 (7), pp. 1443–1449.
- Chernyuk, V. I., Abragamovych, O. O., Mazur, V. V. 2011. "Occupational incidence of diseases of the musculoskeletal and peripheral nervous systems in workers of mines in Lviv region: an analysis of levels and structure results in 2005–2009". Odeskyj medychnyj zhurnal, no. 6 (121), pp. 66–69 (in Ukrainian).
- Richmond, S. A., Fukuchi, R. K., Ezzat, A. [et al.]. 2013. "Are joint injury, sport activity, physical activity, obesity, or occupational activities predictors for osteoarthritis? A systematic review". J. Orthop. Sports Phvs. Ther., no. 43 (8), pp. 515–519.
- Klymovytskyj, F. V., Butev, E. V. 2008, "Osteoporo sis – a metabolic bone disease", Trauma, v. 9, no. 4, pp. 470–477 (in Russian).
- Vuolo, L., Barrea, L., Savanelli, M. C. 2016. "Nutrition and Osteoporosis: Preliminary data of Campania Region of European PERsonalised ICT Supported Service for Independent Living and Active Ageing", Transl. Med. Uni. Sa., v. 13, pp. 13–18.
- Torgashyn, A. N. 2013. "Pathogenesis and treatment of acute and chronic pain in patients with systemic osteoporosis", Bol’. Sustavy. Pozvonochnyk, no. 1 (09), Electronic resource, access mode: http://www.mifua.com/archive/article/35791 (in Russian).
- Synyachenko, O. V., Ermolaeva, M. V., Heyko, Y. A. [et al.]. 2016, "Role of bone metabolism in gonarthrosis pathogenesis", Travma, no. 17 (1), pp. 67–70 (in Russian).
- Dubikov, A. I. 2013. "Osteoarthrosis: an old disease, new approaches". Sovremennaya revmatologiya, no.2, pp. 82–86 (in Russian).
- MOH Ukraine Order no. 676, 12.10.2006. "On approving protocols on care, of specialty "Rheumatology", Electronic resource, access mode: http://www.moz.gov. ua/ua/portal/dn_20061012_676.html
- Hong, E., Kraft, M. C. 2014. "Evaluating anterior knee pain", Med. Clin. of North Am., no. 98 (4), pp. 697–717.
- Akiyama, K., Sakai, T., Yoshikawa, H. [et al.]. 2013. "In vivo hip joint contact distribution and bony impingement in normal and dysplastic human hips". J. Orthop. Res., no. 31 (10), pp. 1611–1619.
- Kovalenko, V. M., Bortkevych, O. P., Rekalov, D. H. 2011, "Potential of ultrasonography in early diagn ostics of locomotive apparatus pathology". Bol’. Sustavy. Pozvo nochnyk, no. 3 (03), Electronic resource, access mode: http://www.mifua.com/archive/article/24660 (in Ukrainian).
- Crespo Rodríguez, A. M., de Lucas Villarrubia, J. C., Pastrana Ledesma, M. A. [et al.]. 2015, "Diagnosis of lesions of the acetabular labrum, of the labralchondral transition zone, and of the cartilage in femoroacetabular impingement: Correlation between direct magnetic resonance arthrography and hip arthroscopy", Radiología, no. 57(2), pp. 131–141.
- De Windt, T., Welsch, G. H., Brittberg M. [et al.]. 2012, "Is Magnetic Resonance Imaging Reliable in Predicting Clinical Outcome After Articular Cartilage Repair of the Knee?", Am. J. of Sports Med., no. 41 (7), pp. 1695–1702.
- Kovalenko, V. M., Bortkevych, O. P., Protsenko, H. O. [et al.]. 2011, "Instrumental visualization in rheum atology. Part I. Radioisotope scintiography, MRI”. Bol’. Sustavy. Pozvonochnyk", no. 2 (02), Electronic resource, access mode: http://www.mifua.com/archive/ article/18651 (in Ukrainian).
- Welsch, G. H., Juras, V., Szomolanyi, P. [et al.] 2012, "Magnetic resonance imaging of the knee at 3 and 7 Tesla: a comparison using dedicated multichannel coils and optimised 2D and 3D protocols", Eur. Radiol., v. 22, pp. 1852–1859.
- Kato, K., Arai, Yu., Ikoma K. [et al.] 2015, "Early postoperative cartilage evaluation by magnetic resonance imaging using T2 mapping after arthroscopic partial medial meniscectomy", Mag. Res. Im., v. 33, pp. 1274–1280.
- Pachowsky, M. L., Werner, S., Marlovits, S. [et al.] 2014, "3DIsotropic HighResolution Morphological Imaging and Quantitative T2 Mapping as Biomarkers for Gender Related Differences after MatrixAssociated Autologous Chondrocyte Transplantation (MACT) ", J. of Orthop. res., no. 32 (10), pp. 1341–1348.
- Amin, S., Goggins, J., Niu, J. [et al.] 2008, "OccupationRelated Squatting, Kneeling, and Heavy Lifting and the Knee Joint: A Magnetic Resonance ImagingBased Study in Men", J. Rheumatol., no. 35 (8), pp. 1645–1649.
- Virayavanich, W., Alizai, H., Baum, T. [et al.] 2013, "Association of Frequent Knee Bending Activity With Focal Knee Lesions Detected With 3T Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Data From the Osteoarthritis Initiative", Arthr. Care & Res., no. 65 (9), pp. 1441–1448.
- 60th session of World Healthcare Assembly. Point 12.13 of 23th of May 2007 agenda: Health of working people: global action plan, Ukr. J. Occup. Health, no. 3 (12), pp. 3–8 (in Ukrainian).
- Concept on nationwide objective social programme, 2017, "Safekeeping and development of Ukraine working potential for the period from 2008 to 2017", Ukr. J. Occup. Health, no. 4 (12), pp. 3–9 (in Ukrainian).
- Johnell, O., Hertzman, P. 2006, "What Evidence Is There for the Prevention and Screening of Osteoporosis?" Health Evidence Network, Electronic resource, access mode: http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_ file/0009/74475/E88668.pdf.
- Qaseem, A., Snow, V., Shekelle, P. 2008, "Screening for osteoporosis in men: a clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians", Ann. Intern. Med., v. 148, pp. 680–684.
- Nelson, H. D., Haney, E. M., Dana T. [et al.] 2010, "Screening for osteoporosis: an update for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force", Ann. Intern. Med., no. 153 (2), pp. 99–111.
- Calonge, N., BibbinsDomingo, K., Cantu, A. G. [et al.] 2011, "Screening for osteoporosis: U.S. preventive services task force recommendation statement", Ann. Intern. Med., no. 154 (5), pp. 356–364.
- Screening for Osteoporosis Clinical Summary of U.S.Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation, Electronic resource, access mode: http://www.usprevent iveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf10/osteoporosis/ osteosum.htm.
- Grygoryeva, N. V., Povoroznyuk, V. V., Bannikova, R. O. [et al.]. 2011, "Exercise therapy in treatment of osteoarthrosis of the knee". Bol’. Sustavy. Pozvonochnyk, no. 2 (02), Electronic resource, access mode: http:// www.mifua.com/archive/article/18652 (in Ukrainian).
- Pashkevych, L. A., Mohamaddi, M. T., Skakun, P. H. [et al.] 2009, "Determination of radiological and morphological characteristics of osteoarthrosis in patients rehabilitation using total arthroplasty", Problemy osteologii, v. 12, no. 1–2, pp. 51–52 (in Russian).
- Zhernovenkov, A. O., Fedorenko, N. O., Yarotska, E. P. 2010, "Usage of magnetotherapy for prolonged treatm ent of pain syndrome in osteoarthrosis of pelviofemoral joint", Medytsyna transportu Ukrainy, no. 1, pp. 27–29 (in Ukrainian).
- Povorozniuk, V. V., Orlyk, T. V., Kreslov, Ye. O. 2012, "Modern view on the problem of osteoporosis in men in Ukraine", Bol’. Sustavy. Pozvonochnyk, no. 2 (06), Electronic resource, access mode: http://www.mifua. com/archive/article/34335 (in Ukrainian).
- Sheludko, O. L., Kumeda, I. V. 2011, "Physical therapy and medical rehabilitation of patients with vibration disease", Ukr. J.Occup Health, no. 3, pp. 63–72 (in Ukrainian).
- Babanov, S. A., Vorobyev, E. V. 2010, "Vibration disease and rehabilitation perspectives". Fizioterapevt, v. 7, pp. 24–33 (in Russian).