ECHOCARDIOGRAPHIC PARAMETERS OF HEART CONTRACTILITY IN ORE MINING INDUSTRY WORKERS WITH CHRONIC OBSTRUCTIVE PULMONARY DISEASE OF OCCUPATIONAL ETIOLOGY IN POST-EXPOSURE PERIOD
SE «Ukrainian Research Institute of Industrial Medicine», Kryviy Rih
Full article (PDF), RUS
Introduction.Timely detection of abnormalities of heart contractility is important for physicians, pulmonologists, and occu¬pational pathologists, who provide treatment of this category of patients, because it allows determining optimal approaches to development of prognosis of the disease, peculiarities of treatment policy, and the system of medical and social measures for prevention of the disease.
Purpose. In order to study heart contractility in ore mining industry workers with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) of professional etiology an echocardiographic study in post-exposure period was undertaken for the purpose of timely detection of abnormalities in cardiovascular system and development of adequate and effective methods of treatment and prevention of the disease in aforementioned category of patients.
Methods. By means of one- and two-dimensional echocardiography volumetric and linear parameters of left and right com¬partments of the heart, as well as estimates as to their contractility, and total and specific peripheral vascular resistance param¬eters were obtained.
Results. The data on heart contractility in ore mining industry workers with COPD of professional etiology in post-exposure period were analyzed in the article. The results of analysis of the obtained data show that the increase in volumetric and linear parameters of left and right compartments of the heart, decrease of echocardiographic parameters as to heart contractility, formation and pro¬gression of hypertension in pulmonary circulation, as well as significant increase of peripheral vascular resistance are developed in the post-exposure period. Such changes are most developed in workers whose post-exposure period is more than 10 years. Conclusion. The timely detection of abnormalities of heart contractility and their monitoring in the post-exposure period in ore mining industry workers with COPD of professional etiology determines the need to include measures for correction of detected abnormalities in the combination therapy, in order to improve prognosis of the disease and quality of life of afore¬mentioned category of patients.
Key words: chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, workers, ore mining industry, post-exposure period, echocardiography, heart, contractility
- Amosova, K. M., Konopliova L. F. 2004, «Peculiarities of heart failure in persons with chronic pulmonary heart and chronic obstructive lung diseases», Ukrainian Therapeutic Journal, no. 4, pp.18-22 (in Ukrainian).
- Gavrysiuk, V. K., Yachnik, A. I., Kononenko, I. N. et al. 1987, «Echocardiography opportunities in estimation of the state of the right ventricle and pulmonary hypertension in patients with tuberculosis and unspecific lung diseases», Problems of tuberculosis, no. 3, pp. 34-38 (in Ukrainian).
- Gorodetskyi, K. V. 2005, «Functional state of the left ventricle in patients with chronic obstructive lung diseases», Ukrainian Cardiologic Journal, no. 4, pp. 73-76 (in Ukrainian).
- Ivanytskyi, R. I, Sakharchuk, I. I., Tsygankov, A. T. et al. 1992, «Functions of the left ventricle in patients with chronic obstructive bronchitis», Vrachebnoye delo, no. 4, pp. 67-69 (in Ukrainian).
- Karnaukh, N. G., Kovalchuk, T. A. 2004, Actual problems of occupational dust lung pathology: textbook for physicians. Kyiv : Knyha, 104 p. (in Ukrainian).
- Komarovskyi, R. R, Zharinov, O. Y., Salam Saaid. 1999, «Mechanisms of formation and peculiarities of diagnostics in diastolic dysfunction of the right ventricle», Ukrainian Cardiologic Journal, no. 4, pp. 71-74 (in Ukrainian).
- Polivoda, S. N., Krivenko, V. I., Akhtyrskyi, A. I. 2000, «Estimation of diastolic function of the left and right ventricles in patients with chronic obstructive bronchitis with different level of the secondary pulmonary hypertension», Ukrainian Pulmonology J, no. 2, pp. 41-45 (in Ukrainian).
- Radionova, V. V. 2006, «Actuality of chronic obstructive lungs diseases in the structure of occupational diseases. Criteria of diagnostics and examination of working capacities», Ukrainian Therapeutic Journal, no. 1, pp. 105-112 (in Ukrainian).
- Chuchalin, A. G. 1999, Chronic obstructive lungs diseases,.Moscow : Binom, 512 p. (in Russian).
- Feigenbaum, H. 1999, Echocardiography. Moscow : Vidar, 512 p. (in Russian).
- Sheuchet, Ya. N., Bednarzhevsky, T. V. 2004, «Diagnostics of pulmonary hypertension in patients with chronic lungs diseases», Pulmonary, no. 3, pp. 64-67 (in Russian).
- Yachnik, A. I., Yakhnytsia, T V., Aldakimov, D. G. 2000, «The significance of bronchial obstruction in pathogenesis of circulatory deficiency in patients with chronic pulmonary heart», Ukrainian Pulmonary Journal, no. 3, pp. 33-34 (in Ukrainian).
- Devereux, R. V., Reichek, N. 1977, «Echocar- diographic determination of left ventricular mass in man anatomic validation of the method», Circulation, Vol. 55, pp. 613-618.
- Marwick, T. H. 2003, «Techniques for comprehensive two dimensional echocardiographic assessment of left ventricular systolic function», Heart, Vol. 89, Suppl. 3, pp. 1112-1118.
- «Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (COLD). Global strategy for diagnosis, management and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. NHLBI». 2011, WHO workshop report. Last updated, www.gold copd. org.
- «Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of chronic heart failure. Task force for the diagnosis and treatment of chronic heart failure», 2001, European Society of Cardiology, Eur. Heart. J, Vol. 22, no. 17, pp. 1527-1560.