Ukrainian journal of occupational health 3-4 2005
Effect of fatigue on cardiovascular system functioning in human-operators of mental work under 2-day rotation of 12-hour shifts
Institute for Occupational Health of AMS of Ukraine, Kiev
Full article (PDF), RUS
Heart rate, systolic and diastolic blood pressures were registered in electricity distribution network controllers at the begin¬ning and the end of the working shift (1826 subject-observations) and also every 2 hours during a shift (1224 subject-observa¬tions). Controllers evaluated their fatigue at the end of a shift using 5 anchor scale. It was revealed that fatigue development at the day shifts was characterised by interactive changes in tunctioning of the cardiovascular system (CVS), while at night shifts the changes in some of its parameters were pronounced, but not interactive. This could evidence the involvement of the central regulation mechanisms for the body functional interactions at the day time and predominance of the peripheric mecha¬nisms at night. Paradoxical character of the dependence of within-shift variations in parameters of CVS functioning on the fatigue level caused by the performed work done, that was revealed at the second consecutive 12-hour shifts, probably, evi¬dences the insensitivity of a human being to the increase of the physiological cost of the performed work done on the part of the CVS at the stage of the exhaustion of its resources.
Key words: fatique, human-operators of mental work, 12-hour shifts, cardiovascular system
- Arinchin N.I., Kulago G.V. Gipertonicheskaya bolezn' kak narusheniye samoregulyatsii krovoobrashcheniya,- Minsk: Nauka i tekhnika. 1969,- 104 s
- Bobko N.A. (2001), “Work of cardiovascular system of controllers of electric networks in conditions of 12-hour work shifts”, Fiziol. zhurnal, Vol. 47, No 5, 82-86.
- Navakatikyan A.O., Kal'nnsh V.V., Kryzhanovskaya V.V. (1987), Utomleniye [Fatigue], Fiziologiya i gigiyena umstvennogo truda.- K.: Zdorov'ya, 59-78.
- Navakatikyan A.O., Kryzhanovskaya V.V. (1979) Vozrastnaya rabotosposobnost' lits umstvennogo truda. [Age work capacity of persons of mental work], Zdorov'ya, Kiev, 256.
- Sokolov Ye.I., Belova Ye.V. Emotsii i patologiya serdtsa.- M.: Nauka. 1983.- 302 s.
- Khramov YU.A., Veber V.R. Vegetativnoye obespecheniye i gemodinamika pri gipertonicheskoy bolezni.-Novosibirsk: Nauka. 1985.- 129 s.
- Colquhoun W.P., Costa G., Folkard S., Kiiauth P. Shiftwork. Problems and Solutions.-
- Frankfurt am Main: Berlin: Bern: New York: Paris: Wien: Lang. 1996.224 p.
- Folkard S. Circadian rhythms and hours of work//Psychology at Work/P.Warr (ed.).- London: Penguin Books. 1987,- P. 30-52.
- Harma M. Circadian adaptation to shift work. A review//Shiftwork in the 21st Century/S.Hornberger. P.Knauth. G.Costa. S.Folkard (eds.).- Frankfurt am Main: Berlin: Bern: Bruxelles: New York: Oxford: Wien: Lang. 2000.- P. 125-130.
- Knutsson A. Health disorders of shift workers//Occup. Med.-2003.-V.53.-P. 103-108. https://doi.org/10.1093/occmed/kqg048
- Knutsson A. Association between shift work and coronaкy heart disease: a review of recent findings and mechanisms of action//Shift work 2000. Implications for Science. Practice and Business/Ed. by T.Marek. H.Oginska. J.Pokorski et al.- Krakow. 2000.- P. 99-1 17.
- Murata K., Yano E., Shinozaki T. Cardiovascular dysfunction due to shift work//J. Occup. Environ. Med.- 1999,-V.41.- P. 748-753. https://doi.org/10.1097/00043764-199909000-00006
- Pashkov F.J. Is stress linked to heart disease? The evidence grows stronger |clinical conference!// Cleve Clin. J. Med - 1999,- V.66 - P. 75-77. https://doi.org/10.3949/ccjm.66.2.75
- Rosa. R. Performance, alertness and sleep after 3-5 yeas of 12h shifts: a follow-up study//Work and Stress.- 1991,-V.5.-P. 107-116. https://doi.org/10.1080/02678379108257008
- Spurgeon A., Harrington J.M., Cooper C.L. Health and safety problems associated with long working hours: a review of the current position//Occup. Environ. Med.- 1997.-V.54.- P. 367-375. https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.54.6.367
- Tenkanen L., Harma M., Sjoblom T. Shiftwork as a risk factor of coronary heart disease//Tyoterveiset, Special issue «Ergonomics».- 1997.-P. 16-17.