ISSN 2223-6775 Ukrainian journal of occupational health Vol.15, No 3, 2019
EVALUATION OF CHANGES IN THE FUNCTIONAL STATE OF THE CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM IN SURGEONS DEPENDING ON THEIR AGE AND EXPERIENCE OF WORK IN DAILY MONITORING OF ARTERIAL PRESSURE
State Institution «Kundiiev Institute of Occupational Health of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine», Kyiv
Full article (PDF), UKR
Introduction. Professional duties of a surgeon require high physical and mental endurance, proper maintenance of a high level of cognitive functionality for a long time and make high demands to professional qualities of neuropsychological characteristics. The intense work is manifested by the peculiarity of the work content, intellectual, sensory and emotional strain in conditions of daily and night duties, irregular working hours and absence of regulated breaks. The exceeding the upper limit of blood pressure, especially during night periods of the day, creates conditions for occurrence of cardiovascular disasters. The greatest risk in development of pathological states occurs with the increase of the calendar age.
The purpose of the study was to estimate the functional state of the cardiovascular system by a method of daily monitoring of blood pressure and heart rates in surgeons, depending on their age and work experience.
Materials and methods of research. The research of the function of the cardiovascular system was conducted in surgeons of the Kyiv City Clinical Emergency Medical Hospital in the schedule of the 24-hour duties. 62 persons have been examined by the method of daily monitoring of arterial pressure and heart rates using the device VAT42-2 (ICS-Techno, Ukraine) with the measurement intervals of every 30 minutes.
Results. During a daily duty of an older surgical doctor and those with a high-level-experience (20 years and more), a periodic increase in mean arterial blood pressure and pulse blood pressure above the upper limit of the norm was determined. The most significant excess of the norm was observed at night periods of the day and at the end of the work.
Conclusions. In the examined surgeons with the age above 40 a significantly higher index of mean blood pressure and significantly lower mean heart rates than in the age group up to 40 years were observed over a daily duty. The surgeons with the work experience for more than 20 years had significantly higher mean blood pressure and significantly lower mean heart rates than doctors with less work experience. The majority of strong correlation between indicators of daily monitoring of arterial pressure and age-experience indicators were recorded in the night period, which can point to a gradual development of negative phenomena in the cardiovascular system.
Key words: surgeons, cardiovascular system, age, experience, blood pressure monitoring.
- Varyvonchyk, D. V., Rykov, S. O., Denysyuk, L. I. et. al. (2015), “Аssessment of work conditions of physicians-ophthalmologists in modern conditions of medical care provision”, Ukrainian Journal of Occupational Health, 42 (1), 30-37. https://doi.org/10.33573/ujoh2015.01.030
- Deynego, V. N., Kaptsov, V. A. (2014), “Occupational health of surgeons. Modern problems (a scientific review)”, Profilakticheskaya i klinicheskaya meditsina, 50 (1), 26-29.
- Volodiy, M. A. (2012), “Analysis of working conditions of physicians and studying the effect of psychoemotional factors on development of work-related morbidity”, Ukrainskiy naukovo-medychnyi molodizhnyi zhurnal, 2, 181-184.
- Piepoli, M. F., Hoes, A. W., Agewall, S. et. al. (2017), Evropeiskiye rekomendatsii po profilaktike serdechno-sosudistykh zabolevaniy v klinicheskoi praktike (peresmotr 2016 [European guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice (revised in 2016)], Rosiiskiy kardiologicheskiy zhurnal, 146 (6), 7-85.
- Tucker, P., Marquié, J. C., Folkard, S. at al. (2012), “Shiftwork and metabolic dysfunction”, Chronobiology international, 29 (5), 549-555. https://doi.org/10.3109/07420528.2012.675259
- Grandner, M., Mullington, J. M., Hashmi, S. D. at al. (2018), “Sleep duration and hypertension: analysis of > 700,000 adults by age and sex”, Journal of clinical sleep medicine, 6 (14-15), 1031-1039. https://doi.org/10.5664/jcsm.7176
- Miller, M. A., Cappuccio, F. P. (2013), “Biomarkers of cardiovascular risk in sleep-deprived people”, Journal of Human Hypertension, 10 (27), 583-588. https://doi.org/10.1038/jhh.2013.27
- Musameh, M. D., Nelson, C. P., Gracey, J. at al. (2017), “Determinants of day-night difference in blood pressure, a comparison with determinants of daytime and night-time blood pressure”, Journal of Human Hypertension, 31 (1), 43-48. https://doi.org/10.1038/jhh.2016.14
- Esquirol, Y. Perret, B., Ruidavets, J. B. at al. (2011), “Shift work and cardiovascular risk factors: new knowledge from the past decade”, Archives of cardiovascular diseases, 104 (12), 636-668. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acvd.2011.09.004
- Yang, H., Haack, M., Gautam, S. at al. (2017), “Repetitive exposure to shortened sleep leads to blunted sleep-associated blood pressure dipping”, Journal of Hypertension, 35 (6), 1187-1194. https://doi.org/10.1097/HJH.0000000000001284
- Koo, D. L., Nam, H., Thomas, R. J., Yun, C. H. (2018), “Sleep disturbances as a risk factor for stroke”, Journal of Stroke, 20 (1), 12-32. https://doi.org/10.5853/jos.2017.02887
- Smolensky, M. H., Hermida, R. C., Portaluppi, F. (2017), “Circadian mechanisms of 24-hour blood pressure regulation and patterning”, Sleep medicine reviews, 33, 4-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smrv.2016.02.003
- Hermida, R. C., Ayala, D. E., Smolensky, M. H. at al. (2017), “Sleep-time blood pressure: unique sensitive prognostic marker of vascular risk and therapeutic target for prevention”, Sleep medicine reviews, 33, 17-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smrv.2016.04.001
- Routledge, F. S., McFetridge-Durdle, J. A., Dean, C. R. (2007), “Night-time blood pressure patterns and target organ damage: a review”, The Canadian Journal of Cardiology, 23, 132-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0828-282X(07)70733-X
- Bastos, J. M., Bertoquini, S., Silva, J. A., Polоnia, J. (2006), “Relationship between ambulatory blood pressure monitoring values and future occurrence of ischemic cerebrovascular and coronary events in hypertensive patients”, Revista portuguesa de cardiologia, 25, 305-316.
- Starodubova, A.V., Kopelev A. A. (2010), “24-Hour Blood Pressure Monitoring”, Lechebnoye delo, 1, 60-67.
- Gеtchko, M. M., Chubirko, K. I., Chopei, I. V. et. al. (2013), Znachennya dobovoho monitoring arterialnogo tysku u praktytsi semeinoho likarya; metodychni rekomendatsii [Significance of daily blood pressure monitoring in practice of a family doctor: methodical recommendations”, Uzhgorod National University, Uzhgorod, Ukraine.
- Kharchenko, М. А. (2008), Korrelyatsionnyi analiz [The Correlation analysis], Voronezh State University, Voronezh, Russia.
- Frolkis, V. V. (1975), Stareniye i biologicheskiye vozmozhnosti organizma [Aging and biological abilities of the body], Nauka, Moscow, Russia.
- Yakovlev, V. M., Yagoda, A.V. (2012), Izolirovannaya sistolicheskaya arterialnaya gipertenzia v pozhylom vozraste: patogenez, klinika, lecheniye [Isolated systolic hypertension in elderly age: pathogenesis, clinic, treatment], Agrus, Stavropol, Russia.
- Sega, R., Corrao, G., Bombelli, M. et. al. (2002), “Blood pressure variability and organ damage in a general population: results from the PAMELA Study”, Hypertension, 39 (2), 710-714. https://doi.org/10.1161/hy0202.104376
- Sertsevo-sudynni zakhvoryuvannya. Klasifikatsiya, standarty diagnostyky ta likuvannya [Cardiovascular diseases. Classification, standards of diagnostics and treatment] (2016), (Ed. V. M. Kovalenko and others.), MORION, Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Barbarash, O. L., Basheva, L. I., Smakotin, S. A. et. al. (2006), Sravnitelnaya kharakteristika sutochnoi dinamiki arterialnogo davlenia u vrachei khirurgov i terapevtov [Comparative characteristics of daily blood pressure dynamics in surgeons and therapists], Meditsina v Kuzbasse, 1, 23-27.
- Kobalava, J. D., Kotovskaya, Yu. V., Moiseyev, V. S. (2009), Arterialnaya gipertonia: klyuchi k diagnostike i lecheniyu [Arterial hypertension: keys to diagnostics and treatment],GEOTAR-Media, Moscow, Russia.
- Liventseva, M. M., Nechesova, T. A., Chernyak, S. V. (2013), Novye pokazateli sutochnogo monitorirovaniya arterialnogo davlenia i ikh izmenenia u patsientov s arterialnoi gipertenziyei pod vliyaniyem Sentora (lozaptana) [New indexes of daily blood pressure monitoring and their changes in patients with arterial hypertension under Sentora (lozartan) action], International Reviews: Clinical Practice and Health, 1, 24-28.
- Osnovy kardiologii [Fundamentals of Cardiology], (2007), (Ed. K. Rozendorf), Medytsyna svitu, Lviv, Ukraine.
ORCID ID of the author:
Kudievsky Ya.V. (ORCID ID 0000-0003-0282-0005).