Nikiforuk O. I.
GEOMAGNETIC FIELD AND ITS ACTION ON BIOLOGICAL OBJECTS
State Institution "Institute for Occupational Health of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine", Kyiv
Full article (PDF), UKR
Introduction. The Earth's magnetic field (geomagnetic field) is one of the most important environmental factors and the necessary background for normal functioning of the human body and animals. The problem of people’s human health and its protection, who are being for a long time in premises exposed to the geomagnetic field (GMF) (airplanes, space vehicles, marine vessels, closed military equipment, underground constructions, metro, etc.) is important for modern occupational science.
The aim of research – to study and summarize the scientific evidence on the impact of the geomagnetic field on humans and animals in order to define further research and hygienic regulation of the mentioned determinant.
Materials and methods of research. The analytical review of scientific publications, using the databases of the PubMed, the National Library named after V.I. Vernadsky, State Scientific and Technical Library of Ukraine, National Medical Library of Ukraine.
Results. It is found that GMF is an essential factor of the modern surroundings and work environment, which in conditions of various metal-shielding structures is able to adversely affect the human body, leading to structural and functional changes and to potential risks of incurring adverse effects. Depending on the degree of GMF weakening and the duration of staying in this environment there can be developed adaptive, stress and compensatory reactions or irreversible pathological changes. According to the literature data, nervous and immune systems are critical systems for GMF exposure. Current views on biological effects of the hypogeomagnetic field fail to assess and predict all unacceptable consequences. So, additional studies of its effect are necessary.
Conclusions. The most promising directions in the study of the effect of the hypogeomagnetic field is to study acute effects and results of chronic influences of low levels of GMF on the human body and to identify corresponding markers of their biological action. The effect of the weakened GMF in Ukraine needs further regulation and development of preventive measures.
Кey words: geomagnetic field, biological objects, human body, laboratory animals, hygienic regulation
- Vastag, B. 2008, "Frontiers in science. How did life on Earth get started?", US News World Rep.,v. 145, no. 3, pp. 43-44.
- Baranov, M. I. 2010, "Constant magnetic field on the Earth planet. A new hypothesis on origin and its approximate calculation", Elekrotekhnika i elektromekhanika, no. 5, pp. 39-42 (in Russian).
- Aksenov, V. V. 2012, Basis of geomagnetism, Novosibirsk: IV MI I MG SO RAS, 132 p. (in Russian).
- Matusevich, K. N., Matusevich N. K. 2004, About Earth magnetism and magnetic declination: a Manual. Rovno: Volynski oberegy, 81 p. (in Russian).
- Adamenko, O. M., Kvyatkovskyi, G.I. 2003, Ecological geophysics: a textbook. Ivano-Frankivsk : Polum'ya, 426 p. (in Ukrainian).
- Shapiro, D. N. 2010, Electromagnetic screening. Dolgoprudny : Intellekt, 115 p. (in Russian).
- Nakhilnitskaya, Z. N., Mastryukova, V. M., Andrianova, L. A., Borodkina, A. G. 1978, "Body reaction on the exposure to a “null” magnetic field", Коsм. biologia i аviakosm. mеditsina, no. 2, pp. 74–76 (in Russian).
- Beaulieu, P. A. 2011, "Marine medicine", Am. J. Med. Qual., v. 26, no. 4, p. 323. https://doi.org/10.1177/1062860611401371
- Rowe, W. J. 2010, "As with space flight, a magnesium deficit may be responsible for both peripheral vascular dysfunction and kidney disease", Am. J. Cardiol., v. 105, no. 8, pp. 1203–1204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2009.12.029
- Paltsev, Yu. P., Pokhodzei, A. V., Rubtsova, N. B. 2008, "Actual state of the hygienic regulation of electromagnetic fileds and perspectives of harmonization with foreign coiuntries", Meditsina truda i prom. ekologia, no. 6, pp. 62–65 (in Russian).
- Biotropic properties of the weekened magfnetic field, 2005, Ed. V. А. Shkurupii. Novosibirsk : RIC, 140 p. (in Russian).
- Clément, G., NgoAnh, J. T. 21013, "Space physiology II: adaptation of the central nervous system to space flights – past, current, and future studies", Eur. J. Appl. Physiol., v. 113, no. 7, pp. 1655–1672. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-012-2509-3
- Juutilainen, J. 2005, "Developmental effects of electromagnetic fields", Bioelectromagnetics, Suppl. 7, pp. S107–S115. https://doi.org/10.1002/bem.20125
- Anderson, L. E. 1991, "ELF: exposure levels, bioeffects, and epidemiology", Health Phys., v. 61, no. 1, pp. 41–46. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004032-199107000-00004
- Bystrova, E. Yu., Bogomolova, E. V., Gavrilov, Yu. V. 2009, "Effect of constant magnetic and screening geomagnetic fields on development of micromycetes colonies", Mikologia i fitopatologia, no. 5, p. 438 (in Russian).
- Yamshanov, V. F., Kovanko, E. G., Koshelevskyi, V. R. 2005, "Hematological reactions in rats in partial screening of natural electromagnetic fields", Radiat. Biologia. Radioekologia, no. 3, pp. 320–323 (in Russian).
- Voronin, А. Yu., Kulikov, V.Yu. 2004, "Coloniesformation in spleens of experimental animals, exposed to geomagnetic field of a very low voltage", Bul. Sib. Depart. of Russian AMS, no. 1, pp. 73–76 (in Russian).
- Кulikov, V. Yu, Kozyayeva, E. A., Sorokin, O. V. 2011, "Influence of weak ecological factors on the hemostasis system and cell reactivity under inflammations in experiments", Мir nauki, kultury, obrazovaniya, no. 3, pp. 320–326 (in Russian).
- Kostyuk, A. S., Lapchenko, E. L., Tumanyants, K. N., Yarmolyuk, N. S. 2013, Effect of moderate ferromagnetic screening on growth and development of invertebrates, Modern problems of physics, chemistry and biology, Materials of the 2nd Intern. Conf., Sevastopol: Sev.NTU, pp. 120–121 (in Russian).
- Portelli, L. A.,Madapatha, D. R., Martino, C. [et al.] 2012, "Reduction of the background magnetic field inhibits ability of Drosophila melanogaster to survive in ionizing radiation", Bioelectromagnetics, v. 33, no. 8, pp. 706–709. https://doi.org/10.1002/bem.21720
- Khodanovich, M. B., Krivova, N. A. 2011, "Effect of a longterm decrease of the level of the geomagnetic field on the bioelectric brain activity in laboratory rats", Vest. Mosk. Univ., no. 348, pp. 155–160 (in Russian).
- Krivova, N. A., Trukhanov, K. A., Zamoshina, T. A. 2008, "Increase of rats’ aggressiveness in exposure to hypogeomgnetic filed", Аviakosm. i ekol. meditsina, no. 6, pp. 30–32 (in Russian).
- Devitsina, D. V., Palchikova, N. A., Trofimov, A. V. 2005, "Dymanics of physiological characteristics and emotionally behavioric reactivity of animals in preformated geomagnetic environment", Bull. Sib. Depart. RAMS, no. 3, pp. 71–77 (in Russian).
- Khodanovich, M. B., Gul, E. V. 2013, "Effect of a longterm weakening of geomagnetic field on aggressiveness of laboratory rats and activation of opium idergenic neurons", Vestnik Томsк Univer, no. 1, pp. 146–160 (in Russian).
- Choi, Y. M., Jeong, J. N. Kim, J. S. 2003, "Extremely low frequency magnetic field exposure modulates the diurnal rhythm of the pain threshold in mice", Bioelectromagnetics, v. 24, no. 3,pp. 206–210. https://doi.org/10.1002/bem.10094
- Zhang, X., Li, J. P. Wu, Q. J. et al. 2007, "Effects of hypomagnetic field on noradrenergic activities in the brainstem of golden hamster", Bioelectromagnetics, v. 28, no. 2, pp. 155–158. https://doi.org/10.1002/bem.20290
- Kuranova, M. L., Pavlov, A. E., Spivak, I. M. et al. 2010, "Effect of hypomagnetic field on living systems", Vestnik SanktPeter. Univ., Series 3. Biology, no. 4, pp. 99–107 (in Russian).
- Belostotskaya, G. B., Golovanova, T. A., Yeldashev, I. S. et al. 2010, Level of intracellular calcium as an indicator of the physiological state of muscle cells, High technologies, fundmental and applied studies in physiology and medicine, Collection of papers, SanktPeter:Edition of Polytechnical Univer., v. 3, pp. 191–198 (in Russian).
- Chu, L. Y., Lee, J. H., Nam, Y. S. et al. 2011, "Extremely low frequency magnetic field induces oxidative stress in mouse cerebellum", General Physiology and Biophysics, v. 30, no. 4, pp. 415–421. https://doi.org/10.4149/gpb_2011_04_415
- Kulikov, V. Yu., Sorokin, O. V., Orumbayeva, S. K. et al. 2011, "Prooxidant and antioxidant potential of mononuclears in conditions of a weakened geomagnetic field", Sib. med. obozreniye, no. 4, pp. 11–16 (in Russian).
- Burykin, Yu. G., Karpin, V. A., Negolyuk, Yu. I. 2007, "Interaction of external geomagnetic perturbations and regulation systems of the inner body media from the positions of synergy", Vestnik novykh med. tekhnol., no. 1, pp. 52–55 (in Russian).
- Pokhodzei, L. V., Paltsev, Yu. P. 2009, Actual state of hygienic rating of hypomagnetic fields in industrial an domestic conditions, Zdorovye natsii, Materils of the Conf., Мoscow, v. 1, pp. 58–59 (in Russian).
- Bingi, V. N., Sarimov, R. B. M. 2009, "Zero magnetic field effect observed in human cognitive processes", Electromagn. Biol. Med., v. 28, no. 3, pp. 310–315. https://doi.org/10.1080/15368370903167246
- Binhi, V. N. Sarimov, R. M., Milyaev, V. A., 2008, "Effect of magnetic field compensation on human cognitive processes", Biofizika, no. 5, pp. 856–866 (in Russian).
- Kulikov, V. Yu., Kozyaeva, E. A., Timofeyeva, Yu. S., Yemelyanenko, T. A. 2010, "Osmotic erythrocyte resistence in conditions of different geomagnetic field voltage and under the effect of digoxin in vitro conditions", Meditsina i obrazovanie v Sibiri, no. 3, pp. 10–18 (in Russian).
- Gozhenko, A. I., Masevich, Y. V., Nasibullin, V. A., Zukow, W. 2013, "Features of clinical and morphologic manifestation of severe violations of cerebral circulation in people living in hypogeomagnetic conditions", J. Health Sci., v. 3, no. 5, pp. 101–112.
- Sevostyanova, E. V. 2008, "Assessment of the dependence of rheological and hemostatic parameters of human blood on changes of geliogeographic factors in modern megapolices", Vestnik. novykh med. tekhnol., no. 4, pp. 13–16 (in Russian).
- Nikiforuk, O. I., Glyva, V. A., Nazarenko, D. I., Kovalenko, V. V. 2014, "Methodical and technical provi sion of experimental studies on the effect of geomagnetic fields on biological objects", Ukr. J. Occup. Health, no. 1, pp 74–79 (in Ukrainian).
- Nikiforuk, O. I. 21016, Hypogeomagnetic fіeld as a factor of the work environment, Safety of human life activity– education, science, practice, Collection of papers, Int. Conference, p. 47. (in Ukrainian)
- Nemchinov, Yu., Tarasyuk, V., Sharapov, G. E., et al. 2008, A system on providing reliability and safey at building objects. Main requirements to buildings and constructions. State sanitary norms of Ukraine, Кyiv, 22 p. (in Ukrainian)
- Rozov, V. Yu., Resinkina, M. M., Dumanskiy, Yu. D., Bitkin, S. V. 2008, "Analysis of technogenic distotrions of the geomagnetisc field in premises and rating their permissible levels", Gigiyena nasel. mest, Collection of papers, Кyiv, Issue 55, pp. 98–104 (in Russian).
- Hypogeomagnetic fields in production, living and social buildings. 2009, Sanitary rules1.8/18.104.22.1689– 09, Decree of the State sanitary doctor of the Russian Federation of 02.03.2009 г. no. 14, Мoscow, 5 p. (in Russian).
- Standard on building biology testing methods: SBM2008 [Electronic resource], Mode of access: URL: http://www.createhealthyhomes.com/SBM2008.pdf.
- Rоzov, V. Yu., Pelevin, D. E., Levina, S. V. 2013, "Experimental studies on the phenomenon of weakening the geomagnetic field in premises", Еlektrotekhnika i еlektromekhanika, no. 6, pp. 72–76 (in Russian).