Cherednichenko I. M.
HYGIENIC ASSESSMENT OF RADIATION EFFECT OF COMPACT LUMINESCENCE LAMPS ON THE HUMAN BODY
SI "Institute for Occupational Health on NAMS of Ukraine", Kyiv
Full article (PDF), UKR
Introduction. A problem of energy saving is now very actual in the world. Lighting is a large and quickly developing branch of energy consumption and discharges of greenhouse gases. One of effective ways in decreasing the energy consumption for lighting is the use of compact luminescence lamps. More than 20 mln of them are used in Ukraine annually and in the nearest future volumes of productionі of such lamps will be increased. Due to such wide use of compact luminescence lamps it is high time to study their effect on the human body.
Purpose of the study. To study and ground the data of the national and foreign literature, concerning the effect of compact luminescence lamps on development of physiological reactions in the human body.
Materials and methods. An analytical survey of scientific publications, using the data of the PubMed, Vernadsky National library of Ukraine, National scientific and technical library of Ukraine, National scientific medical library of Ukraine was made. Results. In the spectrum of radiation from compact luminescence lamps there are ultraviolet, visible and infrared ranges of the optic spectrum. Different systems of starting devices can add parameters of high frequency radiation (2–400 кHz) and radiation of industrial frequency (50 Hz) to the optic spectrum. The intensity of light flows, characteristics of brightness and spectral composition, placement of eye relatively to light source, availability of glare affect the formation of physiological reactions.
Conclusion. The conduct of hygienic studies on the combined assessment of the effect of compact luminescence lamps on the human health will make it possible to develop measures to rationalization of lighting systems for prophylaxis of the harmful affect and optimization of body functions, to prevent development of premature and chronic fatigue and to raise the effectiveness of work.
Key words: modern sources of energy saving for lighting, compact luminescence lamps, biological action of light, optical radiation, melatonin synthesis, work ability
- Villegas, Ch. Т. 2007, "Problems of energy saving in lighting", Svetotekhnika, no. 4, pp. 45–49 (in Russian).
- Tetri, E., Halonen, L. 2009, "Saving of energy due to energysaving lighting ", Svetotekhnika, no. 5, pp. 58–64 (in Russian).
- Аnastasiu, B., Bertoldi, P. 2010, "Tendencies and policy in decreasing the energy consumption of lighting in EC", Svetotekhnika, no. 3, pp. 25–29 (in Russian).
- Aisenberg, Y. B. 2009, "Modern problems of effective energy lighting", Energosberezheniye, no. 1, pp. 42–47 (in Russian).
- Lebo, B., Tsisis, G. 2007, "Strategy of actions on increasing the quality of compact luminescence lamps for replacing incandescent lamps", Svetotekhnika, no. 4, pp. 64–69 (in Russian).
- Коzhushko, G. М., Basova, Y. A., Sorokin, V. M., Rybalochka, A. V. 2013, "Studies on parameters and characteristics of compact luminescence and LEDs for direct replacement of incandescent lamps", Svitlolyuks, no. 1, pp. 30–36 (in Ukrainian).
- Martirosova, V. G., Nazarenko, V. I., Galinsky, A. D. 2009, "Physiologohygienic characteristics of compact luminescence lamps and perspectives in their use", Svitlolyuks, no. 6, pp. 48–52 (in Russian).
- Van Bommel, V. 2011, "Lamps for direct replacement of incandescent lamps, and health", Svetotekhnika, no. 2, pp. 20–24 (in Russian).
- Brainard, G. К., Glickman, G. L. 2004, "Biological effect of light on human health and behaviour", Svetotekhnika, no. 1–2, pp. 4–8 (in Russian).
- Brainard, G. К., Provensio, I. 2008, "Perception of light as a stimulus of nonvisual human reaction", Svetotekhnika, no. 1, pp. 6–12 (in Russian).
- Berson, D. M., Dunn, F.A., Motoharu, Takao. 2002, "Phototransduction by retinal ganglion cells that set the circadian clock", Science, v. 295, pp. 1070.https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1067262
- Brainard, G., Hanifin, J., Greeson et al. 2001, "Action spectrum for melatonin regulation in humans: Evidence for a novel circadian photoreceptor", Journal of Neuroscience, v. 21, no. 16, pp. 6405–6412.https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.21-16-06405.2001
- Thapan, K., Arendt, J., Skene, D. 2001, "An action spectrum for melatonin suppression: evidence for a novel nonrod, noncone photoreceptor system in humans", Journal of Physiology, v. 535 (pt.1), pp. 261–267. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7793.2001.t01-1-00261.x
- Anisimov, V. N. 2007, "Chronometer of life", Priroda, no. 7, pp. 3–10 (in Russian).
- Figueiro, М. 2011, "Implications of controlled shortwavelength light exposure for sleep in older adults", BMC Research Notes, v. 4, pp. 334–341.https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-0500-4-334
- Aladov, А. V., Zakgeim, A. L., Mizerov, M. N., Chernyakov, A. E. 2012, "On biological equivalent in radiation of LED and traditional sources of light with color temperature 1800–10 000 К", Svetotekhnika, no. 3, pp. 7–10 (in Russian).
- Kloog, I., Portnov, B. A., Rennett, H. S., Haim, A. 2011, "Does the modern urbanized sleeping habitat pose a breast cancer risk?", Chronobiology International, v. 28, no. p. 76.https://doi.org/10.3109/07420528.2010.531490
- Brainard, G. 2008, "Sensitivity of the human circadian system to shortwavelength (420nm) light", J. Biol. Rhythms.,v. 5, pp. 379. https://doi.org/10.1177/0748730408323089
- Light at Night: 2012, The latest science. US Department of Energy, Solid State Lighting Program. URL: http://apps1.eere.energy.
- Brainard, G., Glickman, G. 2011, Photoreceptor system for melatonin regulation and phototherapy, US Patent № 7678140.
- Wright, М. 2010, "Debate continues over the impact of light on human health", LEDs magazine, v. 46, p. 25.
- Bartenbach, К. 2009, "Light and health", Svetotekhnika, no. 2, pp. 4–10 (in Russian).
- Slaini, D. H. 2010, "Effect of new light technical devices on human health and safety", Svetotekhnika, no. 4, pp. 49–50 (in Russian).
- Bedox, L., Torns, P. 2003, "Problems in studying of the international standard on inner lighting", Svetotekhnika, no. 6, pp.39–41 (in Russian).
- Van Den Beld, G. 2004, "Lighting and human feeling", Svetotekhnika, no. 6, pp.11–14 (in Russian).
- Zak, P. P., Ostrovsky, M. A. 2012, "Potential hazard of lighting from LED for eyes in children and adolescents", Svetotekhnika, no. 3, pp. 4–5 (in Russian).
- Gvozdenko, L. A., Tikhonova, N. S., Cherednichenko, I. N.et al. 2010, " Physiological reactions of organism at the action of light of the powersaving systems of illumination ", Ukrainian Journal of Occupational Health, no. 4 (24), pp. 44-50 (in Russian).
- Martirosova, V. G. 2011, "Studies on the effect of LED sources of light on some main body systems", Svitlolyuks, no. 2, pp. 42–47 (in Russian).
- Gamaleya, N. F., Shishko, E. D., Minchenko, A. G. 2007, "Differentiated circadian reaction on light, manifested by T cells and large granular lymphocytes of man in vitro", Dopovidi Natsionalnoi Akademii nauk Ukrainy, no. 9, pp. 131–136 (in Russian).
- Shishko, Е. D., Gamaleya, N. F., Minchenko, A. G. 2010, "Daily rhythms, circadian genes and malignant neoplasm", Onkologiya, v. 12, no. 4, pp. 316–320 (in Russian).
- Romodanovа, Е. О., Dyubko, T. S., Morozova, T. F. et al. 2003, "Effect of low energetic laser radiation on the structure and properties of protein molecules in conditions of nonspecific energy absorption", Fiziol. Zhurnal, v. 49, no. 2, pp. 96–99 (in Ukrainian).
- Sorokin, V. М., Rybalochka, A. V., Kozhushko, G. M., Basova, Yu. A. 2013, "Economic and ecological assessment of perspectives in the use of energysaving lamps in the housing sector", Svitlolyuks, no. 3, pp. 16–21 (in Ukrainian).
- Zelenkov, I. A., Zaspenko, O. M. 2005, "Effect of lighting conditions on work ability of operators in their work with computers", Elektronika i sistemy upravlenia, pp. 58–64.
- Zelenkov, I. A., Vakula, Y. O. 2005, "Dynamic regimens of lighting in production conditions", Visn. Nats. Avia. University, no. 3, pp. 184–187 (in Ukrainian).
- Ioffe, К. I. 2010, "Effect of spectrum of different sources of light on the human body", Svitloteknika ta elektroenergetika, no. 3–4, pp. 58–61 (in Russian).
- Nazarenko, L. A., Ioffe, K. I., Tumofeyev, E. P. 2007, "Assessment of biological effect of light", Svitlotekhnika ta elektroenergetika, no. 3–4, pp. 4–10 (in Russian).