ISSN 2223-6775 Ukrainian journal of occupational health Vol.15, No 2, 2019
Trachtenberg I.M., Dmytrukha N.M.
INDUSTRIAL TOXICOLOGY: MAIN DIRECTIONS, RESULTS AND PROSPECTS OF SCIENTIFIC ACTIVITY
State Institution "Kundiiev Institute of Occupational Health of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine", Kiev
Full article (PDF), UKR
Introduction Industrial toxicology is an important part of preventive medicine, its main task is to study characteristics and mechanisms of the toxic effects of various chemical factors - industrial and environmental pollutants, development of early criteria for diagnosis of intoxications, search for effective means of preventing and treating occupational and work-related diseases of chemical genesis.
The purpose was to present the results of studies obtained in the laboratory of industrial toxicology and occupational health on the use of chemicals over the years of its activity, on their theoretical and practical significance in preservation of the health of the working population.
Materials and methods. The results of the research activities of the laboratory in the main scientific areas are summarized, the analysis of significant scientific publications of the staff is carried out, their theoretical and practical significance for preventive medicine is determined, and prospects for further research have been outlined.
Results. The most important scientific achievements of the laboratory for 45 years of its activity are: development of a classification, principles of toxicological and hygienic assessment of metal corrosion inhibitors, polymer compositions of cutting fluids, drugs and substantiation of hygienic measures; establishment of patterns and peculiarities of the impact of low concentrations of mercury vapor on humans and the environment, development of a complex of de-mercuration measures; establishing the relationship between elements of the adaptive response and "breakdown" in the body in response to various environmental factors; determination of the criteria on assessing the norm, adaptation, prepathology and pathology of chemical genesis; studies on the toxic effect of heavy metals, determination of the criteria on cardio-vasotoxic and immunotoxic action, assessment of the age-related characteristics of adaptive reactions and pathological processes; scientific substantiation of expediency, experimental and clinical confirmation of the effectiveness in the use of means of preventing the negative effects of heavy metals on the body; introduction of alternative models and test systems in toxicological studies; development of the assessment algorithm and criteria for characterizing the potential hazard level of metal nanoparticles and other nanomaterials. More than 600 papers were published on specific problems of toxicology and occupational health in production and use of chemicals, of which 25 were monographs, manuals, textbooks, and more than 40 dissertations were defended.
Conclusion. Over the years of the laboratory's existence, a combination of toxicological and hygienic studies are performed to assess the safety of various chemical compounds, the results have been obtained that are important for the theory and practice of preventive medicine, occupational health and toxicology.
Keywords: industrial toxicology, chemical factors, adaptation, pathology, prevention, alternative methods, nanotoxicology
- Apykhtina O.L. (2008), Disturbance of the antioxidant exchange of nitric oxide in vasoactive action of lead and search for new means of biological prevention of intoxications, Abstract diss., cand. med. sci.: 14.02.0; specialty "Occupational health", SI "Kundiiev Institute of Occupational Health of the NAMS of Ukraine. Kiev, Ukraine.
- Apykhtina O.L., Dmytrukha N.M., Kotsyuruba A.V et al. (2012) "Mechanisms of hematotoxic action of lead compounds", Zhurnal Natsionalnoi Akademii nauk Ukrainy, 18, 1, 100-109.
- Dmytrukha N.M. (2004), "Experimental study of the effect of heavy metals (lead and cadmium) on non-specific white rats resistance", Suchasni problemy toksikologii, 4, 27-31.
- Dmytrukha N.M. (2010), "Studies of immunotoxic effects of heavy metals in vitro conditions", Aktualnye problemy transportnoi meditsiny, 22 (4), 85-91.
- Dmytrukha N.M. (2011), Immunotoxic action of lead and cadmium as a hygienic problem (to pathogenesis, diagnostics and prevention of heavy metal toxicity), Abstract, diss., dr. med. sci., Specialty "Occupational health", 14.02.01 SI "Kundiiev Institute of Occupational Health of the NAMS of Ukraine", Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Dmytrukha N.M., Korolenko T.K., Lahutina O.S. and Gramadskaya L.O. (2012), Assessment of biological activity of citrate nanoparticles of biogenic metals (Cu, Zn, Fe, Mg) in experiments in vitro, Collection of scientific works "Aktualni problemy profilaktychnoi medystyny", 10, 60-67.
- Dmytrukha N.M. (2013), "Cell culture as an in vitro model in toxicological studies", Medix - Antiaging, 33 (3), 50-55.
- Trakhtenberg I.M., Prodanchuk M.G., Chaikovsky Y.B. and others (2011), Profilaktychna toksykologia i medychna ekologia [Preventive toxicology and medical ecology], Selected lectures for scientists, doctors and students, I.M. Trakhtenberg (ed.), Avicenna, Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Kozlov K.P. (2003), "Protective action of pectin in entering small doses of mercury into the body", Gigiyena truda, 34 (1), 229-237.
- Kozlov K.P. (2005), Protective action of pectin in entry of small doses of mercury into the body (to the problem of micro-mercurialization), Abstract, dis., cand. med. sci., Specialty 14.02.01 "Occupational health", SI "Kundiiev Institute of Occupational Health of the NAMS of Ukraine ", Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Krasnokutskaya L.M. (1979), "To the substantiation of MPC of polymyxin M in the air of the working zone", Gigiyena truda i profesionalnye zabolevania , 6, 50-52.
- Kundiiev Y.I., Trakhtenberg I.M., Porutsky G.V. and others (1982), Gigiyena i toksikologia mastylno-okholodhzuyuchykh ridyn [Hygiene and toxicology of lubricating and cooling liquids], Zdorov'ya, Kiev, Ukraine.
- Kundiiev Y.I. and Trakhtenberg I.M. (2007), Chimicheskaya bezopasnost v Ukraini [Chemical safety in Ukraine], Avicenna, Kiev, Ukraine.
- Marchenko M.L. (2011), Human cell cultures as an alternative method in complex toxicological and hygienic evaluation of heavy metal compounds, Abstract. dis. cand. med. sci., Speciality 14.02.01 "Hygiene and occupational pathology", SI "Kundiiev Institute of Occupational Health of the NAMS of Ukraine", Kiev, Ukraine.
- Narysy vikovoi toksykologii [Essays of age toxicology] 2005, I.M. Trakhtenberg (ed.), Avicenna, Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Ocherki vozrastnoi toksikologii [Essays of age toxicology], 2006, Transl. into Russian , I.M. Trakhtenberg (ed.), Avicenna, Kiev, Ukraine.
- Paustovskaya V.V., Torbin V.F., Okhota I.N. and Korolenko T.K. (1984), "Working conditions and ways of recovery in works with metal corrosion inhibitors", Current issues of occupational health and occupational pathology. Col. scientific works, Riga Medical Institute, Riga, 187-192.
- Prodanchuk N.G. and Balan G.M. (2009), "Nanotoxicology: state of art and prospects of research", Sovremennye problemy toksikologii, 3-4, 4-18.
- Rotenberg Y.S. (1986), Prognoz toksichnosti v eksperimentakh in vitro: dostizhenia i perspektivy [Prognosis of toxicity in vitro experiments: achievements and prospects], 44-62, Moscow, Russia.
- Trakhtenberg I.M. (1986), "Main results of experimental studies on the cardiotoxic effect of harmful substances", Gigiyena truda i prof. zabolevania, 12, 43-47.
- Trakhtenberg I.M., Kolesnikov V.S. and Lukovenko V.P. (1994), Tyazholye metaly vo vneshnei srede: Sovremennye gigienicheskiye i toksikologicheskiye aspekty [Heavy metals in the environment: Modern hygienic and toxicological aspects], Navuka and tekhnika, Moskow, Russia.
- Trakhtenberg I.M. and Kovalenko V.N. (2006), "Alternative methods in preclinical toxicological studies of medicines" (presentation I), Visnyk farmakologii i farmatsii, 6, 23-31.
- Trakhtenberg I.M. and Kovalenko V.N. (2006), "Alternative methods in preclinical toxicological studies of medicines (presentation 2), Visnyk farmakologii i farmatsii, 7, 19-29.
- Trakhtenberg I.M. and Korshun M.N. (1990), Rtut i yeye soyedinenia v okruzhayuschei srede [Mercury and its compounds in the environment], Vyshcha shkola, Kiev, Ukraine.
- Trakhtenberg I.M. and Lugovskoy S.P. (2005), "The role of endothelium in mechanisms of development of the vasotoxic effects of lead", Zhurnal Akademii medychnykh nauk Ukrainy, 11 (1), 63-74.
- Trakhtenberg I.M., Sova R.E., Sheftel V.O. and Onikienko F.A. (1978), Pokazateli normy u laboratornykh zhyvotnykh v toksikologicheskom eksperimente (sovremennye konsteptsii, metodologicheskiye podkhody, osnovnye parametry i konstanty [Indicators of the norm in laboratory animals in toxicological experiments (current concepts, methodological approaches, basic parameters and constants), Kiev, Ukraine.
- Trakhtenberg I.M. and Tychinin V.A. (2003), "A problem of the cardio-vasotoxic action of exogenous chemicals", Ukrainskyi kardiologichnyi zhurnal, 5, 108-112.
- Trakhtenberg I.M., Utko N.A., Kolrolenko T.K. and Muradyan K.K. (2003), "Effect of heavy metals on aging", Toksikologicheskiy vestnik, 3, 9-14.
- Trakhtenberg I. M., Lugovsky S. P., Dmytrukha N.M. and others. (2006), "Comparative characteristics of nephrotoxic effects of mercury and lead in the long-term effect on rats of different age", Aktualnye problemy transportnoi meditsiny, 2, .26-33.
- Trakhtenberg I.M., Ulberg Z.R., Chekman I.S., Dmytrukha N.M. et al. (2013), Otsinka bezpeky medychnykh nanopreparativ [Assessment of safety of medical nanopreparations, Methodical recommendations]. Approved at the meeting of the Scientific Expert Council of the State Expert Center of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine, Protocol No. 8 of 09/26/2013, Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Trakhtenberg I.M. (1992), Khimichni faktory vyrobnychoho seredovyscha ta sertsevo-sudynna systema [Chemical factors of the working environment and the cardiovascular system, Hayastan, Yerevan, Armenia.
- Trakhtenberg I.M., Apykhtina O.L., Kotsyuruba AV, Dmytrukha N.M. e.a. (2007), Sposib profilaktyky i likuvannya svinstevoi intoksykatsii [Method of prevention and treatment of lead intoxication], Kyiv, Ukraine, Patent for utility model, No 266628.
- Trakhtenberg I.M., Apykhtina O.L. and Lubyanova I.P. (2009), "A part of metals as technogenic chemical pollutants in the pathogenesis of cardiovascular diseases", Ukrainskyi kardiologichnyi zhurnal, 1, 238-241.
- Trakhtenberg I.M., Dmytrukha N.M. (2013), "Nanoparticles of metals, methods of definition, spheres of use, physicochemical and toxic properties", Ukrainian Journal of Occupational Health, 4 (37), 62-74.
- Trakhtenberg I.M., Dmytrukha N.M. (2016). "Principles, methods and indicators of experimental assessment of safety of metal nanoparticles", Suchasni problemy toksykologii, kharchovoi i khimichnoi bezpeky, 76 (4), 5-17.
- Trakhtenberg I.M., Dmytrukha N.M., Molozhava O.S. and Mironyuk Y.M. (2007), Porushennya imunnoho statusu organizmu lyudyny za diyi khimichnykh chynnykiv ta metody yikh vyznachennya [Disorders of the human immune status due to the action of chemical factors and methods of their determination], Guidelines, Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Trakhtenberg I.M., Kovalenko V.M., Kokshareva N.V., Zhmjenko P.G., Chumak V.T., Baula O.P. (2008), Alternatyvni metody ta test-systemy [Alternative methods and test systems], Medical toxicology, (ed. I.M. Trachtenberg). Avicenna, Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Trakhtenberg I.M., Marchenko M.L., Bezdenezhnykh N.O. and Kudryavets Y.Y. (2010), "Advantages of the method of studying toxic effects of heavy metal compounds in human cell culture in vitro as compared with the traditional in vivo method on animals as more reliable and adequate", Sovremennye problemy toksikologii, 2-3, 69-73.
- Khaitov R.M., Pinegin B.V. and Istamov H.I. (1995), Ekologicheskaya immunologia [Ecological Immunology], VNIRO, Moscow, Russia.
- Chekman I.S., Serdyuk A.M., Kundiev Y.I., Trachtenberg I.M. et. al. (2009), Nanotoksykologia: napryamky doslidzhen [Nanotoxicology: trends in studies], Environment and health, 48 (1), 3-7.
ORCID ID of co-authors and their contribution in preparation and writing the article:
Trakhtenberg I.M. (ORCID ID 0000-0003-1086-8279) – formation of the concept and the content of the paper, conclusion.
Dmytrukha N.M. (ORCID ID 0000-0001-9161-3889) – substantiation of the material of many-year studies, writing the article.