State Institution "Institute for Occupational Health of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine", Kyiv
Introduction. The investigation of the effect of extreme work conditions on the state of workers’ health and on successfulness of a human work has gained, at present, a new impulse. Its occurrence is explained by complications of technologies, appearance of new dangerous types of occupational activity, all-round use of the obsolete equipment as well as of many other factors, contributing to modern problems of occupational health.
Purpose of the study – to structure the data on the effect of factors of the extreme work conditions of the worker’s health and to establish probable approaches, allowing the body to compensate their harmful effect.
Materials and methods. The analysis and generalization of the literature data on the problems of the effect of extreme work conditions on the human health have been conducted.
Results. Resulting from the analysis of the literature data a Classification on conditions and/or situations, forming a stress in a human, engaged in work conditions of high danger, has been proposed. An approach, based on the mechanism of the natural selection of persons, capable to work in such extreme conditions, has been established by means of formation of a special functional system, which can be named as a psychophysiological "armour".
Conclusion. The extreme factors of the work environment has bee structured, which makes it possible to distinguish the most significant of them, and, so, to define their place in the system of irritants influencing a human. A hypothesis has been stated on the probable mechanism of “natural selection” under the effect of a combination of extreme factors, enabling to permit working only such individuals, in whom the development of the defensive psychophysiological "armour" is possible, promoting their stability to overcoming the available tests.
Key words: extreme work conditions, dangerous work conditions, Classification on work environmental factors, psycho-emotional strain
1. Agadzhanyan, N. А., Konovalova, G. М., Ozheva, R. Sh. 2010, «Ethnos, health and problems of adaptation», Novye tekhnologii (New technlogies), no. 3, pp. 88–92 (in Russian).
2. Aleschenko, V. І., Khmilyar, О. F. 2005, Psychological rehabilitation of military men with post-stress psychic disorders. Kharkiv: KhUPS, 84 p. (in Ukrainian).
3. Akhmetzyanova, А. I. 2015, «Theoretical analysis of concepts on development of anticipating function of psychic reflection», Gumanitarnye i sotsialnye nauki (Humanitarian and social sciences), no. 3, pp. 233–249 (in Russian).
4. Belevitin, А. B. 2011, «Modern views on medical rehabilitation of individuals with dangerous professions», Meditsina katastrof (Medicine of catastrophes, no. 2, pp. 14–17 (in Russian).
5. Belenkiy, G., Noi, Sh., Solomon, Z. 1985, «Stress on a battlefield: an Israel experience», Military review, no. 7, pp. 28–37 (in Russian).
6. Bikinina, G. М., Мingazova, L. R. 2011, «Substantiation of approaches to realization of preventive measures on work-related pathology in workers of force structures», Sibirskyj medithinskiy zhurnal (Siberea medical Journal), v. 26, Issue 1, pp. 166–170 (in Russian).
7. Bodrov, V. А. 2000, Information stress. Мoscow: Per se, 352 p. (in Russian).
8. Bodrov, V. А. 2006, Psychological stress: development and overcoming. Moscow : Rech, 523 p. (in Russian).
9. Military engineering psychology. 1970, (Ed. V. F. Rubakhin). Мoscow: Voyenizdat, p. 138. (in Russian).
10. Golokov, V. А., Nikolayeva, Т. Ya., Sergeyev, S. А. 2010, «Оn the state of health of workers of inner affairs, solving their professional tasks in specific conditions of the Northern-Caucass Region», Yakutsk med. J., no 1, pp. 29–30 (in Russian).
11. Grigoryev, P. Е., Vasilyeva, I .V., Ignatov, А. N. 2016, «Individual-psychological correlates of peculiarities of intuitive prediction of dangerous situations in employees of internal affairs», Vestnik of Krasnodar Univ., no. 1 (31), pp. 196–201 (in Russian).
12. Gurenkova, Т. N., Еliseyeva, I. N., Kuznetsova, Т. Yu. et. al. 2007, Psychology of extreme situations for rescuers and firefighters. Мoscow: Smysl, 319 p. (in Russian).
13. Dikaya, L. G., Маkhnach, А. V. 1996, «The attitude of a person to unfavorable life events and factors of his/ her formation», Psikhologicheskyi zhurnal, no. 3, pp. 137– 148 (in Russian).
14. Dyachenko, М. I., Каndybovich, L. А., Ponomarenko, V. А. 1985, Readiness for activity in stressful situations. Мinsk: University publishing, 206 p. (in Russian).
15. Yena, Т. А., Каlnysh, V. V. 2010, «Professionally important qualities of power systems’ dispatchers», Ukr. J. Occup. Health, no. 4 (24), pp. 11–20 (in Ukrainian).
16. Zaitsev, G. S. 2014, «Extreme conditions in activity: concept, content, classifications», Vestnik КRSU, v. 14, no. 10, pp. 25–29 (in Russian).
17. Engineering psychology in military affairs. 1983, (Ed. B.F. Lomov). Мoscow: Voyenizdat, 224 p. (in Russian).
18. Каlnish, V. V. 2016, «Monotone activity and the state of monotonia. Information 1. Definition and factors of formation», Ukr. J. Occup. Health, no. 1 (46), pp. 18–30 (in Russian).
19. Каlnish, V. V. 2016, «Monotone activity and the state of monotonia. Information 2. Mechanisms of development of the monotonia state», Ukr. J. Occup. Health, no. 2 (47), pp. 33–44 (in Russian).
20. Kutayev-Smyk, L. А. 1984, Stress psychology. Мoscow: Nauka, 386 p. (in Russian).
21. Кitayev-Smyk, L. А. 2009, Stress psychology. Psychological stress anthropology. Мoscow: Акаdemicheskyi proekt, 943 p. (in Russian).
22. Kovalson, V. М., Dorokhov, V. B. 2013, «The wakefulness-sleep cycle and human biorhythms under different alternating conditions of light and dark period of the day», Zdorovye i obrazovaniye v ХХІ st., v. 15, no. 1–4, pp. 151–162 (in Russian).
23. Korovin, А. Е., Shanin, Yu. N., Bodan, S. М., Shulepov, А. V. 2013, «Pathoendosanogenesis of systemic pathological reaction in victims with slight mechanical trauma», Bull. North Med. Univ., no. 2, pp. 40–42 (in Russian).
24. Kosharov, V. S., Schablov, N. N. 2010, «Influence of the place of service and work experience on the individual and personal characteristics of workers of the fire department» Problems of risk management in the technosphere, no. 4 (16), pp. 97–103 (in Russian).
25. Kuznetsov, А. G. 1969, To the physiology of extreme environment effects on the human body. Мoscow: Nauka, pp. 5–20 (in Russian).
26. Lastovchenko, V. B. 2011, «Peculiarities of desynchronization of daily biorhythms in operators with changing work schedules», Ukr. J. Occup. Health, no. 2, pp. 3–10 (in Russian).
27. Lebedev, V. I. 1989, Personality under extreme conditions. Мoscow: Politizdat, 228 p. (in Russian).
28. Lomov, B. F., Surkov, Е. N. 1980, Anticipation in the structure of activity, «Psykhologicheskyi zhurnal», v. 1, no. 6, pp. 162–165 (in Russian).
29. Маrischuk, V. L., Yevdokimov, V. I. 2001, Human behavior and self-regulation in stress conditions, Sankt-Peter., 260 p. (in Russian).
30. Маrischuk, V. L. 1983, Redistribution of functional reserves in the body of an athlete as a stress indicator, Stress and anxiety in sports. Мoscow: Fizkultura i sport, pp. 72–87 (in Russian).
31. Мееrson, F. Z. 1981, Adaptation, stress and prevention. Мoscow: Nauka, 279 p. (in Russian).
32. Меnitsk, N. V., Тrubachev, V. V. 1974, Information and problems of higher nervous activity. Leningrad: Meditsina, 232 p. (in Russian).
33. Мisyura, V. F. 1995, Psychological rehabilitation of servicemen. Мoscow: Frunze Academy, 25 p. (in Russian).
34. Mikhailov, B. А. 1996, «Psychological operations of USA military forces in conflict situations of low intensity», Foreign military overviews, no. 8, pp. 2–7 (in Russian).
35. Mikhailova, L. А. 2014, «Hygienic and physiological aspects of activity in specialists of extreme professions», Fundamental studies, no. 2, pp. 1626–1631 (in Russian).
36. Nаyеnко, N. I. 2001, Psychological tension. Frustration. Reader (Ed. I. V. Gerasimov). Vladivostok : МGU, pp. 6–50 (in Russian).
37. Nebylitsyn, V. L. 1990, «Main properties of the human higher nervous system», Selected psychological works. Мoscow: Prosvesheniye, pp. 5–343 (in Russian).
38. Nosov, N. А. 2000, Virtual psychology. Мoscow: Аgraf, 432 p. (in Russian).
39. Osyodlo, V. 2015, «Diagnostics, formation and development of psychological readiness for professional activity: methodical aspects», Visnyk of Kyiv Taras Shevchenko University, Military-special sciences, no. 1 (32), pp. 30–32 (in Ukrainian).
40. Pronina, G. А., Pyatibrat, Е. D., Batskov. S. S. 2013, «Assessment of changes in personality characteristics and quality of life associated with the metabolic syndrome in rescuers of the Ministry of extreme situations in Russia», Vestnik psykhoterapii, no. 48 (53), pp. 52–56 (in Russian).
41. Stepanov, O. M. 2006, Psychological encyclopedia. Кyiv: Акаdemvydav, 424p. (in Ukrainian).
42. Smirnov, B. А., Dolgopolova, Е. V. 2007, Psychology of activity in extreme situations. Kharkov: Gumanitarnyi Tsentr, 292 p. (in Russian).
43. Тіmchenko, О. V. 2000, The syndrome of posttraumatic stress disorders: conceptualization, diagnosis, correction and prognosis. Kharkiv: Publishing of the University of Internal Affairs, 268 p. (in Ukrainian).
44. Khairulin, О. 2014, «Professional burnout of servicemen as a subject of psychological analysis», Psikhologia i suspilstvo, no. 2, pp. 98–128 (in Ukrainian).
45. Shevchenko, Т. I., Makarova, N. V. 2013, “Comparative study of neuromuscular resistance in firefighters”, Original papers of students of the fire and rescue college, Меdico-biological and socio-psychological problems of safety in emergency situations, no. 1, pp. 74–77 (in Russian).
46. Bleise, P. D., Wesensten, N. J., Balkin, T. J. 2006, «Age and individual variability in performance during sleep restriction», J. Sleep. Res., no. 15 (4), pp. 376–385.
47. Juda, M., Vetter, C., Roenneberg, T. 2013, «Chronotype modulates sleep duration, sleep quality, and social jet lag in shift workers», Journal of biological rhythms, v. 28, no. 2, pp. 141–151.
48. Kirkcaldy, B., Shephard, R. J. 2004, «Occupational stress, work satisfaction and health among the helping processions», Eur. Rev. Appl. Psychol.,v. 51, pp. 243–253.
49. Ogdinska-Bulik, N. 2013, «Negative and positive effects of traumatic experiences in a group of emergency service workers – the role of personal and social resources», Med Pr., no. 64(4), pp. 463–472.
50. Pek, E., Martai, I., Marton, J. 2013, «Health survey of ambulance workers with a generic questionnaire (SF– 36)», Orv. Hetil., no. 154 (47), pp. 1865–1872.