Demetska O. V., Tkachenko T. Yu.
ON THE PROBLEM OF EXPOSURE CONTROL OF NANOMATERIALS AT WORKPLACE
SI "Institute for Occupational Health of National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine", Kyiv
Full article (PDF), ENG
Background. In the present situation, when production and use of nanomaterials are developing very quickly, assessment of risks in the field of nanotechnologies, hygienic regulation, exposure control of nanomaterials at workplace, becomes a tasks of high priority. All these need an assessment of workers’ exposure to nanoparticles in occupational settings.
Purpose. To determine nanoparticle emissions to the air of the working zone in different work activities and to evaluate modern methods of the exposure control of nanomaterials at workplace.
Materials and methods. A concentration of nanoparticles in the air of the working zone was measured by the diffusion aerosol spectrometer DAS-2702.
Results. According to levels of nanoparticle emissions to the air of the working zone, the E-beam synthesis in vacuum as well as traditional industrial processes (electric welding, secondary lead melting) are the most potentially dangerous.
Conclusions. Nanoparticle emissions to the air of the working zone can occur in both nanotechnological and traditional processes. An exposure control is needed in both situations and requires modern measuring devices and specially developed sampling methods.
Key words: nanoparticles, nanomaterials, air of the working zone
- ISO/TS 80004:2015. Nanotechnologies – Vocabulary, Part 2: Nanoobjects, 10 p.
- ISO/TS 80004:1:2015. Nanotechnologies – Vocabulary, Part 1: Core terms, 3 p.
- BSIBritish Standards. 2007, Nanotechnologies. Guide to safe handling and disposal of manufactured nanomaterials. Part 2, PD 66992, BSI.
- Demetska A. V., Andrusishina I. M., Tkachenko T. Yu. 2013, “Comparative characteristics of risk levels for persons, having occupational contacts with technogeneous nanoparticles”, Ukrainian Journal of Occupational Health, no. 4, pp. 47–53 (in Ukrainian).
- Demetska O. V., Leonenko O. B., Tkachenko T. Yu., Suprun B. I. 2012, “Dynamics of the concentration of ultrafine particles in manual welding with electrodes”, Ukrainian Journal of Occupational Health, no. 1, pp. 3–7 (in Ukrainian).
- Kundiev, Yu. I. [et. al.]. 2012, Method for determination of nanoparticles in air, Patent for Utility Model № 69801.
- Movchan, V. O. [et al.]. 2012, Method for determine of nanoparticles in working zone air, Patent for Utility Model № 72951.
- Babii, F. F. [et al.] 2013, Method of gas medium sampling for determination of presence and concentration of nanoparticles of metals, Patent for Utility Model № 77782.
- Yavorovskyi, O. P. [et al.]. 2012, Method for hygienic control of content of nanoparticles in the air of working area, Patent for Utility Model № 75831.