Pashkovskyi S. M.
PECULIARITIES OF CHANGES OF PHYSIOLOGICAL QUALITIES IN MILITARY PILOTS
Ukrainian Military Medical Academy, Kyiv
Full article (PDF), UKR
Introduction. At the present stage of the aviation development execution of professional tasks occurs on the background of action of flight factors, which can be potential risk factors for the health of pilots and for flight safety. These circumstances determine the importance, on one hand – selection for flight specialties individuals, which are most resistant to dangerous conditions of activity, on the other - early detection of risk for disease occurrence, psychosomatic disorders, their timely correction and preventing development of states, which can present danger for health and safety. The problem of assessment of the functional state of pilots is very important. This is due to the fact that pilots’ combat capacity much depends on their functional state and on the combination of professionally important qualities.
The aim – to identify physiological characteristics of the age dynamics of professionally important qualities in modern military pilots and helicopter pilots.
Materials and methods. There have been examined 250 persons. Of these, pilots and navigators of the fighter, bomber, navigator, transport and reconnaissance aircraft amounted to 130 (group I); military helicopter pilots – 120 persons (group II). All members of the crews were divided into two age subgroups (before 40 and older than 40). The study was carried out with the help of the hardware and software PFI-2 "Hronorefleksometr".
Results. Both in military pilots and helicopter pilots and in the age aspect there were observed dynamic changes in professionally important psychophysiological qualities, pointing to an uneven decrease of professional possibilities in military pilots and in helicopter pilots. On the other hand the stability of some physiological characteristics with age confirms their importance for flight activity. Therefore, in order to assess professionally important qualities it is necessary to take into account this phenomenon as real evidence of the usefulness of each of the physiological quality for providing success in pilot's occupational activity. Conclusions. A hypothesis has been formulated concerning explanation of the phenomena of aging changes in physiological characteristics of pilots from positions of the theory of functional systems and systemogenesis by P.K. Anokhin. The possibility was grounded to use age peculiarities in the dynamics of changes of professionally important psycho-physiological qualities in psycho-physiological monitoring for the purposes of medical support of servicemen. Psychophysiological reserves of military pilots and helicopter pilots are significantly different. This is due to different levels of fitness of physiological properties of these contingents and with high psycho-emotional and physical strain in pilots when doing their duties.
Key words: physiological quality, age-related changes, military pilots, helicopter pilots, systemogenesis, heterochronicity
- Аnokhin, P. К. 1978, Systemogenesis as a general regularity of the evolution process, Philosophical aspects of the theory of the functional system. Мoscow: Nauka, pp. 125–151 (in Russian).
- Bugrov, S. А., Ponomarenko, V. А.1985, "Medicopsychological problems in provision of safe flights in modern conditions", Kosm. biolog. i aviakosm. meditsina, no. 5, pp. 4–10 (in Russian).
- Yena, А. І., Каlnysh, V. V., Кravchuk, V. V. 2004, "Peculiarities of professionally important qualities in pilots with different degree of the fitness for occupational activity", Physiol. zhurnal, v. 50, no. 3, pp. 71–78 (in Ukrainian).
- Yena, А. І., Каlnysh, V. V., Кravchuk, V. V. 2004, "Peculiarities of development of the syndrome of professional burn-out among individuals, whose work is associated with the danger", Aktual. problem psikhologii, Collection of papers of the Institute of Psychology named after G. S. Kostyuk, (Ed. Maksymenko, S. D.). Kyiv, v. 7, Issue 3, pp. 87–95 (in Ukrainian).
- Zhevzhik, А. I. 1988, "Psychological peculiarities of a pilots’ activity in low-altitude flights, when using control systems with different level of automation", Aktual.voprosy psykhofiziol. letnogo truda, no. 8, pp. 53–57 (in Russian).
- Isakov, P. К. 1971, Psychophysiological recommendations for pilots, mastering flights at low altitudes. Моsсow, 17 p. (in Russian).
- Коpanev, V. I., Yegorov, V. А. 1982, "Specificity of medical provision of flights on helicopters", Voyen. Med. Zhurnal, no. 11, pp. 42–43 (in Russian). https://doi.org/10.7146/kok.v11i43.18105
- Коrshever, М. G. 1990, "Medical aspects of professional becoming in young fighter-pilots", Manual for aviation doctors. Моscow, 91 p. (in Russian).
- Кravchuk, V. C., Yena, А. І., Каlnysh, V. V. 2004, "Specificity of changes in the state of health of the aircrew military forces of Ukraine", Problems of military health protection, Collection of sci. works, Кyiv: UVМА, Issue 14, pp. 324–329 (in Ukrainian).
- Кuleshov, V. I. 1977, "To the problem of physiological shifts in pilots of deck helicopters", ВМЖ, no. 2, pp. 60–62 (in Russian).
- Lunev, R. S., Lunev, D. S. 2015, Psychophysiology of work in human life, № 3, pp. 95–102 (in Russian).
- Макаrenko, N. V. 1996, Theoretical background and methods of occupational selection of military specialists, Кiev, 336 p. (in Russian).
- Маtveyeva, V. V., Yenin, К. А., Маtveyev,V. М. 2015, "Assessment of psychophysiological state of various levels of the psychic health in individuals of dangerous professions", Bull. East-Siberian Sci. Centre of Siberian Depart.of the Russ. Acad. Med. Sci., no. 5, pp. 24–28 (in Russian).
- Pirov, V. R., Polovko, D. S. 2016, "Studying a pilot’s professionally important qualities in the course of an experiment on the training apparatus Cessna-172s", Problems of flight operation and safety of flights, v. 10, pp. 48–57 (in Russian).
- Polyakov, P. М., Каrmyzov, М. V., Моnakhova, S. V. 2015, "Assessment of a psychological load on an aircraft pilot in special situations", Nauchn. Vestnik Moscow State Techn. Univer. of Civil Aviation, no. 218 (8), pp. 122–125 (in Russian).
- Ponomarenko, V. А. 1997, Psychology of the personnel’s spirituality, Моscow, pp. 100–121 (in Russian).
- Protsenko, S. V. 2009, "Effect of psychophysiological and age peculiarities of a subject on the activity, directly related on the provision of the transport safety", Yuridich. psikhol., no. 4, pp. 22–26 (in Russian).
- Manual on aviation medicine. 2012, International Oreganization on Civil Aviation, 650 p. www.icao.int. (in Russian).
- Firsov, А. G. 2010, "A software-hardware package for assessment of typological peculiarities of a human central nervous system", Kiber. i vychisl. tekhnika, Issue 162, pp. 28–35 (in Russian).
- Charykova, I. А., Statsenko, Е. А., Rummo, D. V. 2009, "Effect of extreme conditions of the activity of indices of the functional state of the central nervous system, Voyennaya meditsina", no. 4, pp. 119–123 (in Russian).