Dolinchuk L. V.1, Shyrobokov V. P.2, Basanets A. V.1, Ponyatovskyy V. A.2
PROBABILITY OF PERSISTENTION OF ENTEROVIRUS INFECTION IN MINERS WITH CHRONIC OBSTRUCTIVE PULMONARY DISEASE
1SI «Institute for Occupational Health of NAMS of Ukraine», Kyiv
2Bogomolets National Medical University, Kyiv
Full article (PDF), UKR
Purpose. To detect genome enteroviruses in the sputum of miners with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and determine their role in the development of this disease.
Materials and methods. 60 miners diagnosed with COPD of occupational etiology were included in this study. A viral genome was detected in samples of sputum. The detection of enterovirus RNA was performed by polymerase chain reaction whith reverse transcription stage. The electrophoresis in 1.5% agarose gels with etidiy bromide was performed to visualize the ampli¬fication products. The type of virus identified by virus neutralization.
Results. The enterovirus RNA was found in 17 (28.3 %) of miners, suffered from COPD. Coxsackie virus B2, B3, B4, B5 were identified in 7 samples of sputum as infections viral agents. The increase in the frequency of detection of enteroviruses, based on length of service in conditions of dust exposure was found. However, it was no relation between the severity of COPD and the frequency of the isolated enteroviruses.
Conclusion. These data suggested a probable persistence of enteroviruses in patients with COPD and their role in the initiation of the disease exacerbation.
Key words: enteroviruses, underground miners, COPD
- Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. Global Strategy or the Diagnosis, Management and Prevention of Chronic ObstructiveLung Disease. NHLBI / WHO workshop report. Last update 2011:// www.goldcopd.com.
- Avdeev, S. N., Shanina, A. G., Chuchalin, A. G. 2005, «Bacterial infection in COPD patients with acute respiratory failure», Clinical Microb Antimicrob Chemotherapy, Vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 245-256 (in Russian).
- Byaluk, O. I. 2008, «The basic pathogens of the infectious exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease», Ukrainian Pulmonology Journal, no. 2, pp. 9-12 (in Ukrainian).
- Dorca, J. 1995, «Acute bronchial infection in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease», Monaldi Arch. Chest Dis., Vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 366-371.
- Papi, A., Bellettato, C. M., Braccioni, E, Romagnoli, M., Casolari, P., Caramori, G., Fabbri, L. M., Johnston, S. L. 2006, «Infections and airway inflammation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease severe exacerbations», Am. J. Respir Crit Care Med., Vol. 173, pp. 1114-1121. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.200506-859OC
- Dimopoulos, G., Lerikou, M., Tsiodras, S., Chranioti, A., Perros, E., Anagnostopoulou, U., Armaganidis, A., Karakitsos, P. 2012, «Viral epidemiology of acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease», Pulmonary Pharmacology&Therapeutics., Vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 12-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pupt.2011.08.004
- Mohan, A., Chandra, S., Agarwal, D., Guleria, R., Broor, S, Gaur, B., Pandey, R.M. 2010, «Prevalence of viral infection detected by PCR and RT-PCR in patients with acute exacerbation of COPD: a systematic review», Respirology, Vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 536-542. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1843.2010.01722.x
- Gyrin, V. V., 2009, «Role of Coxsackieviruses B in the diabetes mellitus type 1 pathogenesis», Ukr. Med. Chasopys, Vol. 2, no. 70, pp. 104-106 (in Ukrainian).
- Zadorozhna, V. I. 2001, «Enteroviruses in hepatitis development», Laboratory diagnostics, no. 2, pp. 14-15 (in Ukrainian).
- Seko, Y., Takahashi, N., Azuma, M., Yagita, H., Okumura, K., Yazaki, Y. 1998, «Effects of in vivo administration of anti-B7- 1/B7-2 monoclonal antibodies on murine acute myocarditis caused by coxsackievirus B 3», Circ. Res., Vol. 82, no. 5, pp. 613-618. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.RES.82.5.613
- Piralla, A., Girello, A., Grignani, M., Gozalo- Margüello, M., Marchi, A., Marseglia, G., Baldanti, F. 2013, «Phylogenetic characterization of enterovirus 68 strains in patients with respiratory syndromes in Italy», J. Med Virol., Vol. 85, pp. 1687-1869. https://doi.org/10.1002/jmv.23821
- Global Programme for Vaccines and Immunization Expanded Programme on Immunization World Health Organization, 1998, Geneva (Translation into Russian). Moscow, 114 p. (in Russian).