Yavorovsky O. P.1, Lobanov V. V.2, Minchenko O. H.3, Paustovsky Yu. O. 1, Filonenko O. V.2
QUANTUM CHEMICAL MODELING STUDIES ON INTERACTION BETWEEN METHYL TERTIARY-BUTYL ETHER AND LIPID BILAYER OF THE PLASMA MEMBRANE
1National O. O. Bogomoletz Medical University, Kyiv
2O. O. Chuiko Institute of Surface Chemistry, NASU, Kyiv
3O. V. Palladin Institute of Biochemistry, NASU, Kyiv
Full article (PDF), UKR
Background. In recent years, stable strontium and its compounds have found their wide application in various branches such as industry, agriculture, medicine, as well as in everyday life. However, aspects of the toxic effects of metal and its compounds on the body are not yet fully understood.
Purpose of the study. To study hepatotoxicity effects of stable strontium chloride in chronic experiments in rats, according to morpho-functional data.
Materials and methods. An experimental model of chronic strontium intoxication was used on male rats (n = 36), daily (5 days a week for 4 months) in intragastric gavages of an aqueous solution of strontium chloride in the stable dose of 1/30 DL50. The hepatotoxic evaluation of stable strontium chloride effects was made according to histological and histochemical study on rat liver after 1, 2, 3 and 4 months. For this purpose histological specimens were stained with hematoxylin & eosin, toluidine blue, ammoniac solution of silver nitrate, mixture of sudan III & IV. Histochemical reactions were carried out: PAS (period ic acid–Schiff) in combination with diastase (PAS-D stain) for detection of glycogen, as well as the coupling with naphthol AS- BS- phosphate for detecting the activity of acid phosphatase (AP).
Results. The studies have shown that chronic exposure to low doses of stable strontium chloride, are accompanied by development of hepatotoxic effects, which are characterized by: blood circulation impairment (blood stasis in hepatic veins and sinusoidal capillaries, especially in hepatic acini zone III); stromal edema and organ hyalinosis with collagen fibers; lipo- and protein dystrophy of hepatocytes, developed due to the reduced amount of glycogen in hepatocytes; hypertrophy and hyperplasia of Kupffer cells, as well as the increase in the amount of Kupffer cells in hepatocytes, due to histochemical activity of AP.
Conclusion. Chronic exposures to stable strontium chloride in small doses, at 1/30 DL50 causes development of drastic effects due to hepatotoxic metal action, which should be taken into consideration ,when assessing the risk of exposure to this metal both for industrial and household environment.
Key words: stable strontium, intoxication, experiment, hepatotoxic effects
- Vishnyakova, T. P., Golubeva, I. A., Krylov, I. T., Lykov O. H. 1990, Stabilizers and modificators of petroleum dystymic fuel. Мoscow : Khimia, 192 с. (in Russian).
- Lisovsky, S. 2004, «A talk with a philosopher. Interview with Academician of RANS V. I. Petrik (about water–drinking and magnetic, МТBE and ecological catastrophe in the USA», Obschestvo i ekologia, v. 6 (51), pp. 1–3 (in Russian).
- Westphal, G. A., Krahl, J., Brüning, T. 2010, «Ether oxygenate additives in gasoline reduce toxicity of exhausts», Toxicology, v. 268, no. 3, pp. 198–203.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tox.2009.12.016
- Davis, J. M., Farland, W. H. 2001, «The Paradoxes of MTBE, Toxicological Sciences», v. 61, pp. 211–217.https://doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/61.2.211
- Kissling, G. E., Porttier, C.J., Huff, J. 2008, «MtBE and cancer in animals: Statistical issues with Poly-3 survival adjustments for lifetime studies», Regul Toxicol Pharmacol, v. 50, no. 3, pp. 428–429.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yrtph.2007.07.008
- Yavorovskyy O.P., Paustovskyy Yu.O., Veremey M.I., et al. 2005, «Hygienic characteristic of workers' employed in methyl-tretbutyl ether production working conditions and state of health», Ukrainian Journal of Occupational Health no. 3–4, pp. 29–34 (in Ukrainian).
- Yavorovsky, O. P., Paustovsky, Y. O. 2008, «Peculiarities of work conditions and state of health of workers, engaged in production and use of methyltretbutyl ether at enterprises of Ukraine», Dovkillya ta zdorovya, no. 3 (46), pp. 60–63 (in Ukrainian).
- Yavovovsky, O. P., Paustovsky, Y. O., Anisimova, I. G., Zaprivoda, L. P. 2009, «State of estrous cycle in female white rats in conditions of exposure to methyltretbutyl ether – antidetonation additives to benzene», Modern problem of toxicology, no. 2, pp. 50–52 (in Ukrainian).
- Yavovovsky, O. P., Paustovsky, Y .O., Anisimova, I. G., Zaprivoda, L. P. 2012, «Experimental studies of methyltretbutyl ether on embryonic development of white rats», Dovkillya ta zdorovya, no. 4, pp. 6–11 (in Ukrainian).
- Minchenko, D. O., Kundieva, A. V., Tsuchihara, K. et al. 2009, «Expression of 6-phosphofructo-2-kinase/fructose-2,6-bisphosphatase-3 and VEGF mRNA in rat liver, lung and heart: effect of methyl tertbutyl ether», Ukr Biochem J., no. 4 (81), pp. 59–68.
- Minchenko, O. H., Yavorovsky, O. P., Paustovsky, Yu. O. et al. 2014, «Expression of key circadian genes as well as protein kinase NUAK2 as sensitive markers of in vivo toxic action of methyl tertial butyl ether», Applied Cell Biology, v. 3, no. 4, pp. 129–138.
- Schmidt, M. W., Baldridge, K. K., Boatz, J. A. et al. 1993, «General atomic and molecular electronic structure system», J. Comput. Chem., v. 14, pp. 1347–1363. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcc.540141112
- Stewart, J. J. P.1990, «MOPAC: A semiempirical molecular orbital program», J. Computer-Aided Mol. Design, v. 4, pp. 1–105.https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00128336
- Zhidomirov, G. M. 1986, «Quantum-chemical cluster models of asid-base sites of oxide catalysts», Advan. in Catal. v. 34, pp .131–201.https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-0564(08)60592-1
- Fomina, E. S., Belyayeva, Y. A., Smirnov, Y. Y., Vysotsky, Y. B. 2012, «Quantum-chemical analysis of thermodynamics in dimerization of aliphatic amides on the surface of phase division water/air», Sci. works, Donetsk University, Series: Chemistry and chemical technology, Issue 19, pp. 18–31 (in Russian).
- Gennis, R. 1997, Biomembranes. Molercular structure and functions: Translation from English. Moscow, 624 p. (in Russian).
- Ipatova, O. M. 2005, Phosphogliv: mechanism of action and use in clinics. Moscow, 318 p. (in Russian).
- Коlman, Ya. 2000, Visual biochemistry. Moscow: Mir, 469 p. (in Russian).
- Surajit Rakshit, Ranajay Saha, Amrita Chakraborty, Samir Kumar Pal. 2013, «Effect of hydrophobic interaction on structure, dynamics, and reactivity of water», Langmuir, v. 29, pp. 1808–1817.https://doi.org/10.1021/la3042583
- Manié, S. N., Lebeau, J., Chevet, E. 2014, «Cellular mechanisms of endoplasmic reticulum stress signaling in health and disease. 3. Orchestrating the unfolded protein response in oncogenesis: an update», Am J. Physiol Cell Physiol, 14 Nov 15, v. 307, no. 10, pp. 901–907.https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpcell.00292.2014
- Minchenko, D. O., Kubaichuk, O. V. Hubenia et al. 2014, «Endoplasmic reticulum stress and angiogenesis in cancer», Int. J. Physiol. Pathophysiol, v. 5 (3), pp. 261–281.https://doi.org/10.1615/IntJPhysPathophys.v5.i3.90
- Minchenko, О. G., Kharkova, A. R., Bakalets, T. V., Kryvdyuk, I. V. 2013, «Stress of endoplasmic reticulum, its senso-signal system and the role in regulation of gene expression due to tumor growth and hypoxia», Ukr Biochem J., v. 85, no. 5, pp. 5–16 (in Ukrainian).https://doi.org/10.15407/ubj85.05.005
- Minchenko, D. O. 2015, «Expression of circadian genes in subcutaneous adipose tissue of obese men with and without glucose intolerance», J. Exp. Integr. Med., v. 5 (1), pp. 23–29.https://doi.org/10.5455/jeim.180215.or.124
- Malhotra, J. D., Kaufman, R. J. 2011, «ER stress and its functional link to mitochondria: role in cell survival and death», Cold Spring Harb. Perspect. Biol., v. 3 (9), a004424 p.https://doi.org/10.1101/cshperspect.a004424