Demetska A. V., Kopach K. D., Tkachenko T. Yu.
RISK ASSESSMENT AND CONTROL IN USING MODERN DENTAL MATERIALS
State Institution "Institute for Occupational Health of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine", Kyiv
Full article (PDF), RUS
Introduction. The use of new technologies and advanced nanomaterials (nanocomposites, bioactive coatings, etc.) in dental practice can increase potential risks for specialists of dental practice.
Purpose of the research was to assess a "nanospecific" risk in dental practice and develop tools for risk control.
Materials and methods of research. The risk was assessed at workplaces of a dental technician, dentist-therapist and dentistorthopedist. The "nanospecific" risk was calculated using an approach of a "control stripe".
Results. It is found that the work of a dentist-therapist, dentist-orthopedist and dental technician is characterized by high occupational risk due to using modern dental nanomaterials. Measures to managing "nanospecific" risk at workplace were proposed (general and local ventilation, restrictions of access to premises for unauthorized persons, personal protective equipment, etc.).
Conclusions. The obtained results support necessity of further studies on nanomaterial toxicity in current dental practice.
Key words: risk assessment, control banding, composite materials, dental service
- Demetska, O. V., Andsrusishina, I. V., Kopach, K. D. 2016, "Assessment of emissions of nanoparticles in the air of the working zone using modern dental materials", Medychnyi Forum, no. 8, pp. 64–68 (in Ukrainian).
- Ukhanov, M. M., Tyakhovskiy, A. N. 2016, "Restoration of nanomaterials in stomatology", Stomatologia, no. 2, p. 73 (in Russian).
- Brouwer, D. H. 2012, "Control Banding Approaches for Nanomaterials", Ann. Occup. Hyg., v. 56, no. 5, pp. 506–514.
- Gajewicz, A. B., Rasulev, T., Dinadayalane, P., Urbaszek, T. 2012, "Advancing risk assessment of engineered nanomaterials: Application of computational approaches", Adv. Drug. Deliv. Rev., v. 64, no. 15, pp. 1663–1693. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addr.2012.05.014
- Kuempel, E. D., Geraci, C. L., Schulte P. A. 2012, "Risk assessment and risk management of nanomaterials in the workplace: translating research to practice", Ann. Occup. Hyg., v. 56, no. 5, pp. 491–505.
- Zalk, D. M., Heussen, G. H. 2011, "Banding the world together; the global growth of control banding and qualitative occupational risk management", Saf. Health. Work, no. 4, pp. 375–379. https://doi.org/10.5491/SHAW.2011.2.4.375
- Wu, F. 2015, "Effect of the Materials Properties of Hydroxyapatite Nanoparticles on Fibronectin Deposition and Conformation", Cryst. Growth. Des., v. 15, no. 5, pp. 2452–2460. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.cgd.5b00231