Andriychuk N. J.1, Vlasyk L. I.1,2
STUDY OF PROTECTIVE EFFECT OF ALPHA LIPOIC ACID IN CONDITIONS OF SUBACUTE ACTION OF DECAHEDRON SILVER NANOPARTICLES
1Bukovinian State Medical University
2 L. I. Medved’s Center of Preventive Toxicology, Food and Chemical Safety
Full article (PDF), UKR
Purpose. To investigate the possible protective properties of alpha lipoic acid (ALA) in conditions of subacute effect of decahedron-shaped silver nanoparticles (SNP).
Materials and methods. Samples of solution of 45 nm sized decahedron-shaped SNP were used in the research. The experiments were carried out on 5 groups of laboratory male rats. The first group was used as the biological control. The rats of the second group have got solution of 45 nm sized decahedron-shaped SNP in the dose of 5,0 mg/kg. The ALA effect (in dosages of 12,5 and 25,0 mg/kg) was studied on animals of the third and forth groups in conditions of subacute effect of 5,0 mg/ kg decahedron-shaped SNP. ALA and SNP were injected intraperitoneally once a day during 14 days.
Results. The intraperitoneal injections of ALA in the doses of 12,5 and 25,0 mg/kg resulted in improving the studied indices of pro- and antioxidant system of blood and liver (statistically significant changes of malonic aldehyda, catalase and glutathione peroxidase activity) in conditions of subacute effect of decahedron-shaped SNP. The prophylactic use of ALA caused normalization of biochemical indices of blood of the treated animals, such as cholesterol and alkaline phosphatase. The assessment of protective use of ALA shows a possibility of its use in the dose of 12,5 mg/kg for prophylaxis of harmful effects of decahedron-shaped SNP.
Key words: silver nanoparticles, alpha lipoic acid, prophylaxis, antioxidant system
- McFarland, A. D., Van Duyne, R. P. 2003, «Single silver nanoparticles as real-time optical sensors with zeptomole sensitivity», Nano Letters, v. 3, no. 8, pp. 1057–1062. https://doi.org/10.1021/nl034372s
- Ilika, A. I., Chikirika, I. A., Khalavka, Y.B. 2011, «Photochemical reduction of silver ions with formation of decahedral nanoparticles», Chernivtsi University Scientific Herald, Issue 555: Chemistry, pp. 40–43 (in Ukrainian).
- Vlasyk, L. І., Andriychuk, N. J., Davydenko, I. S. 2014, «Peculiarities of pathomorphological changes in internal organs of rats as a result of subacute effect of silver nanodecahedrons», Clinical and Experimental Pathology, v. Х11І, no. 3 (49), pp. 33–36 (in Ukrainian).
- Trakhtenberg, I. M., Dmytrukha, N. M., Kozlov, K. P. et al. 2012, «New approaches to prevention of heavy metal intoxication»,Tavricheskiy medico-biologicheskiy vestnik, no. 1 (57), pp. 253–257 (in Ukrainian).
- Lyn, P. 2002, «Mercury toxicity and antioxidants: Part I: Role of glutathione and alpha-lipoic acid in the treatment of mercury toxicity», Alternative Medicine Review, v.7 (13), pp. 456–471.
- Moini, H., Packer, L., Saris, N.E. 2002, «Antioxidant and prooxidant activities of α-lipoic acid and dihydrolipoic acid», Toxicology and applied pharmacology, v. 182, no. 1, pp. 84–90. https://doi.org/10.1006/taap.2002.9437
- Kalinin, I., Danchenko, N., Tsudzevich, B. 2013, «The antioxidant system in rats in conditions of intoxication by heavy metals and applied a-lipoic and folic acids», Problems of nutrition, no. 1. pp. 55–58 (in Ukrainian).
- Konovchuk, V. M., Vlasyk, L. I., Akentyev, S. O., Akentyeva, M. S. 2014, «Acute poisonings by heavy metals: antidotes and intensive therapy», Medicine of urgent states, no. 2, pp. 79–82 (in Ukrainian).