Melnyk N. A.
SUBSTANTIATION OF THE WORLD LITERATURE ON PENETRATION OF METAL NANOPARTICLES BY TRANSDERMAL ROUTE
State Institution "Institute for Occupational Health of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine", Kyiv
Full article (PDF), UKR
Introduction. Nowadays it is occuring a rapid development of nanomaterials and nanotechnologies. Nanoparticles of metals are widely introduced in different spheres of the national economy and can present a potential risk for workers’ health and the environment.
Purpose of the study – studying and substantiation of the data of the world and national literature, including the results of personal studies on the effect of metal nanoparticles on the skin.
Маterials and methods of investigations. A review of scientific publications was made using the databases of PubMed [http: // www. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed], [http: //www.nanomet. ru] and the National library of Ukraine named after V. I. Veernadsky [http://www.ibis-nbuv.gov.ua] over the last decade.
Results. The article highlights the data of the world literature on peculiarities of penetration of metal nanoparticles through the skin depending on their physical and chemical properties.
Conclusion. The penetration of metal nanoparticles through the skin depends on the skin integrity, including the structure of the cornea layer, physical and chemical properties of nanoparticles (size, type, square of the surface, type of metal), square of their application, period of exposure and the nature of the solvent, in which they are suspended.
Кey words: nanotechnologies, metal nanoparticles, skin, penetraton
- Тrakhtenberg, І. М., Dmytrukha, N. M. 2013, "Nanoparticles of metals, methods of obtaining, spheres of application, physico-chemical and toxic properties", Ukr. J. Occup. Health, no. 4, pp. 62–74 (in Ukrainian).
- Теrentyuk, G. S., Genina, E. A., Bashkatov, F. N. et al. 2012, "Use of fractional laser ultrasound microablation in improving the delivery of gold nanoparticles to the skin in vivo", Kvantovaya elektronika, v. 42, no. 6, pp. 471–477 (in Russian).
- Haboub, A., Hallett, J, Lowenthal, D. 2007, "Thermal volatilization properties of atmospheric nanoparticles", Environ. Monit. Assess., v. 134, no. 1–3, pp. 191–197. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-007-9609-2
- Jiang, J., Oberdorster, G., Biswas, P. 2009, "Characterization of size, surface, and charge, and agglomeration state of nanoparticle dispersions for toxicological studies", J. Nanopart. Res., no. 11, pp. 77–89. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11051-008-9446-4
- Кundiyev, Yu. I. 1975, Pesticide absorption through the skin and prevention of poisonings. Kiev : Zdorov’ya, 198 p. (in Russian).
- Baroli, B., Ennas, M. G., Loffredo, F. et al. 2007, "Penetration of metallic nanoparticles in human fullthickness skin ", Journal of Investigative Dermatology, no. 127, pp. 1701–1712. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.jid.5700733
- Cevc, G., Vierl, U. 2010, "Nanotechnology and the transdermal route. A state of the art review and critical appraisal", J. Controlled Release, v. 141, pp. 277–299. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jconrel.2009.10.016
- Lekki, J. 2007, "On the follicular pathway of percutaneous uptake of nanoparticles: ion microscopy and autoradiography studies", Nucl Instrum Methods Phys Res, Sect B, no. 260, pp. 174–177.
- Yu, W. W. Chang, E., Falkner, J. C. 2007, "Forming biocompatible and nonaggregated nanocrystals in water using amphiphilic polymers", J. Am. Chem. Soc., no. 129, pp. 2871–2879. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja067184n
- Magnusson, B. M., Walters, K. A., Roberts, M. S. 2001, "Veterinary drug delivery: potential for skin penetration enhancement", Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, v. 50, pp. 205–227. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-409X(01)00158-2
- Labouta, H. I., Kraus, T, El-Khordagui, E. K., Schneider M. 2011, "Mechanism and determinants of nanoparticle penetration through human skin", Nanoscale, v. 15, pp. 34989–99. https://doi.org/10.1039/c1nr11109d
- Larese, F. F., Agostin, F. D., Crosera, M., Adami, G. 2009, "Human skin penetration of silver nanoparticles through intact and damaged skin", Toxicology, v. 255, pp. 33–37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tox.2008.09.025
- Lee, S. E., Choi, K. J., Menon, G. K. et al. 2010, "Penetration pathways induced by low-frequency sonophoresis with physical and chemical enhancers: iron oxide nanoparticles versus lanthanum nitrates", J. Invest Dermatol., v. 130, pp. 1063–72. https://doi.org/10.1038/jid.2009.361
- Tinkle, S. S. 2003, "Skin as a route of exposure and sensitization in chronic beryllium disease", Environmental health perspectives, no. 111, pp. 1202–1208. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.5999
- Rouse, J. G., Yang, J., Ryman-Rasmussen, J. P. et al. 2007, "Effects of mechanical flexion on the penetration of fullerene amino acid-derivatized peptide nanoparticles through skin", Nano Letters, v. 7, no. 7, pp. 155–160. https://doi.org/10.1021/nl062464m
- Sonavane, G., Tomoda, K.,Sano, A., Ohshima, H. 2008, "In vitro permeation of gold nanoparticles through rat skin and rat intestine: effect of particle size", Colloids Surf B., no. 65, pp. 1–10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2008.02.013
- Nabeshi, H. 2011, "Systemic distribution, nuclear entry and cytotoxicity of amorphous nanosilica following topical application", Biomaterials, no. 32, pp. 2713– 2724. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2010.12.042
- AshaRani, P. V., Mun, G. L. K, Hande, M. P., Valiyaveettil, S. 2009, "Cytotoxicity and genotoxicity of silver nanoparticles in human cells", ACS Nano., v. 3, no. 2, pp. 279–290. https://doi.org/10.1021/nn800596w
- Syrma, E. I., Skobeyeva, T. V., Ulyanov, V. O. 2014, "Моrphological skin changes in administration of silver nanoparticles", Моrfologia, v. 8, no. 1, pp. 90–94 (in Russian).
- Gunasekaran T., Nigusse, T., Dhanaraju M. D. 2012, "Silver Nanoparticles as Real Topical Bullets for Wound Healing", Journal of the American College of Clinical Wound Specialists, no 3, pp. 82–96.
- Ryman-Rasmussen, J. P., Riviere, J. E., MonteiroRiviere, N. A. 2006, "Penetration of intact skin by quantum dots with diverse physicochemical properties", Toxicol Sci., no. 91, pp. 159–165. https://doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/kfj122
- Vallhov, H., Gabrielsson, S. 2007, "Mesoporous silica particles induce size dependent effects on human dendritic cells", Nano Lett., v. 7, no. 12, pp. 3576–3582. https://doi.org/10.1021/nl0714785
- Rancan, F., 2012, "Skin penetration and cellular uptake of amorphous silica nanoparticles with variable size, surface functionalization, and colloidal stability", ACS nano, no. 6, pp. 6829–6842. https://doi.org/10.1021/nn301622h
- Kohli, A. K., Alpar, H.O. 2003, "Potential use of nanoparticles for transcutaneous vaccine delivery: effect of particle size and charge", Int. J. Pharm., no. 275, pp. 13–17.
- Lee, O., Hoon Jeong, S., Ung Shin, W. 2012, "Influence of surface charge of gold nanorods on skin penetration", Skin Research and Technology, pp. 1–7.
- Labouta, H. I., Schneider, M. 2010, "Interaction of inorganic nanoparticles with the skin barrier: current status and critical review", Nanomedicine: nanotechnology, biology, and medicine, v. 9, pp. 39–54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nano.2012.04.004
- Ryzhova, М. V., Tsyganova, N. A., Khairullin, R. M. 2010, "Kinetics of various types of gold nanoparticles in parenteral administration", Ros. Bioterap. Zhurnal., v. 9, no. 3, pp. 26–27 (in Russian).
- Sonavane, G., Tomoda, K., Sano, A., Ohshima, H. 2008, "In vitro permeation of gold nanoparticles through rat skin and rat intestine: effect of particle size", Colloids Surf B., no. 65, pp. 1–10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2008.02.013
- Poland, C. A., Read, S. A., Varet, K., Carse, J. 2013, "Dermal Absorption of Nanomaterials", [Electronic resource], Enviroment Project № 1504.
- ISO.(2013) Online Browsing Platform (OPB), https://www.iso.org/obp/ui
- SCCNFP. 2000, Opinion of the Scientific Committee on Cosmetic Products and Non-Food Products Intended for Consumer Concerning Titanium Dioxide. Brussels: European Commission.
- Gamer, A. O., Leibold, E., Van Ravenzwaay, B. 2006, "The in vitro absorption of microfine zinc oxide and titanium dioxide through porcine skin", Toxicology in Vitro, no. 20, pp. 301–307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tiv.2005.08.008
- Cross, S. E., Innes, B., Roberts, M. S.,Tsuzuki, T. 2007, "Human skin penetration of sunscreen nanoparticles: In-vitro assessment of a novel micronized zinc oxide formulation", Skin Pharmacology and Physiology, no. 20, pp. 148–154. https://doi.org/10.1159/000098701
- Lademann, J., Weigmann, J., Rickmeyer, C, Barthelmes, H. 1999, "Penetration of titanium dioxide microparticles in a sunscreen formulation into the horny layer and the follicular orifice", Skin Pharmacology and Applied Skin Physiology, no. 12, pp. 247–256. https://doi.org/10.1159/000066249
- Schulz, J., Hohenberg, H., Will, T. et al. 2002, "Distribution of sunscreens on skin", Adv. Drug Delivery Rev., v. 54, pp. 157. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-409X(02)00120-5
- Bennat, C., Mueller-Goymann, C. C. 2000, "Skin penetration and stabilization of formulations containing microfi ne titanium dioxide and a physical UVfilter", Int. J. Cosmet. Sci., no. 22, pp. 271–283. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1467-2494.2000.00009.x
- Gulson, B. 2010, "Dermal absorption of ZnO nanoparticles in sunscreen using the stable isotope approach", Toxicology letters, v. 180, pp. 222. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxlet.2008.06.095
- Wu, J., Liu, W., Xue, C. 2009, "Toxicity and penetration of TiO2 nanoparticles in hairless mice and porcine skin after subchronic dermal exposure", Toxicol. Lett., v. 191, pp. 1–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxlet.2009.05.020
- Меlnik, N. А., Lugovskoj, S. P., Didenko, M. N. 2016, "Morphological changes of skin epidermis in longterm effect of lead sulfate nanoparticles on its undamaged surface", Visnyk problem biologii i meditsyny, v. 2, no. 2, pp. 220–224 (in Russian).
- Меlnyk, N. А. 2016, Morphofunctional changes of rats’ skin under chronic effect of PbS nanoparticles on its undamaged surface, Zbirnyk materialiv, Sci. Conf. "Applied aspects of morphology",Теrnopil, pp. 109–111 (in Ukrainian).