ISSN 2223-6775 Ukrainian journal of occupational health Vol.15, No 4, 2019
Space debris as a global industrial and ecological problem. Ways to its solution
Dumitskaya I. V., Solokha N. V.
Bohomolets National Medical University, Kyiv
Full article (PDF), UKR
Introduction. In the XXI century the space activity accumulates the advanced achievements in science and technology, promotes developing highly effective technologies for manufacturing products competitive on the world market. However at the same time, the amount of the space debris in the Earth orbit increases from year to year, and not any constructive solutions to this problem have been proposed.
Purpose: to study the ecological state of the Earth space and to assess techniques for utilization of the space debris.
Methods: mathematical, statistical and literature analysis, natural method.
Results. The analysis of the scientific literature and the Internet sources as well as own mathematical and statistical calculations made it possible to establish that without availability of the space technologies for the Earth space is not possible to efficiently use transport, develop science and education, provide for reliability and significance of hydrometeorological forecasts, etc. However, intensification of the production entails a number of problems, such as accumulation of debris in the space. According to the scientific forecast, volumes of the space debris increases by 50% for every 10 years.
This problem is of great concern for scientists, and the USA and European research institutes have already developed techniques to control the space debris.
Conclusions. The space debris is a real threat, it is a new anthropogenic factor, causing great damages to the planet ecology. In Ukraine, at the present stage of its development, studies on the quantitative and qualitative characteristics of the space debris are being carried out. However, so far, Ukraine has not yet been involved in projects for the Earth space cleaning. Mathematical calculations show that annual emissions to the Earth atmosphere are very great. According to our prognoses they will continue to increase by more than 50% every 10 years.
Key words: Earth space, space waste, global problem
- Kovalchuk G. Meet the Guards of Outer Space: Garbage Collection Plans, available at: http://www.astrosvit.in.ua/novyny/inshi-novyny/zustrichaite-okhorontsiv-kosmichnoho-prostoru-plany-pryberannia-smittia (Accessed 07.05.2017)
- Space debris: how debris at the orbit can stop the era of space exploration (video) URL: https://www.unian.ua/ecology/trash/10119362-kosmichne-smittya-yak-motloh-na-orbiti-mozhe-zupiniti-eru-osvoyennya-kosmosu-video.html (Accessed 16.05.2018)
- Space debris, URL: uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space debris (Accessed 09.07.2019)
- Gladkyi E. G. (2015), “ Determination of danger zones in the areas of fall of detachable parts of the launch vehicle, taking into account the uncertainty of the height of their original destruction”, Kosm. nauka i tekhnologia, 21(6), 49–55. URL: http://knit.mao.kiev.ua/uk/archive/2015/6/5 (Accessed 23.10.19) https://doi.org/10.15407/knit2015.06.049
- Romanov V.I. (2012), Musor pregrazhdayet put' v Kosmos. Informatsionno-poznavatel'noye posobiye, Laksheri Print, Moskow.
- Yaskiv S. Space debris: what it is and how much it is in the orbit, URL: https://impactlab.media/2019/04/12/kosmos-shkodyt-zemli (Accessed 12.04.2019)
- Grinberg E.I. (1992), “Space pollution and space travel. Nature”, Estestvenno-nauchnyi zhurnal Ros. Akademii Nauk, 924 (8), 13.
- A problem of the space debris, URL: http://www.eco-live.com.ua/content/blogs/problema-kosmichnogo-smittya (Accessed 28.02.2018)
- Bombardelli K, Alpatov AP, Pirozhenko OV, Baranov EU, Osinovyi GG, Zakrzhevsky OE. (2014), “The project of a “cosmic shepherd” with an ion beam. Ideas and tasks”, Kosm. nauka i tehknologia, URL: http://space-scitechjournal.org.ua/uk/archive/2014/2/3 (Accessed 12.07.2014)
- The results of space activities in 2018 from Alexander Zheleznyakov. Aerospace portal, URL:http://space.com.ua/2019/01/07/pidsumki-kosmichnoyi-diyalnosti-krayin-svitu-v-2018-rotsi-vid-oleksandra-zheleznyakova (Accessed 07.01.2019)
- Aviation and launch vehicles. Ecology. Study materials online, URL: https://pidruchniki.com/13290305/ekologiya/aviatsiya_raketonosiyi Accessed 02.03.2018)
- NASA will catch space debris with ultra-thin blankets, URL: https://espreso.tv/news/2017/09/11/nasa_lovytyme_kosmichne_smittya_nadtonkymy_kovdramy (Accessed 11.09.2017)
- LEOSWEEP. URL: https://leosweep.upm.es/en/ (Accessed 25.06.2016)