Yastrub T. A.1, Kirsenko V. V.1, Vakal S. V.2, Itorshun M. M.3
THE PROBLEM OF HEAVY METALS IN THE PRODUCTION AND USE OF PHOSPHOROUS MINERAL FERTILIZERS (TAKING CADMIUM, LEAD, ARSENIC, AS AN EXAMPLE)
1 SI «Institute for Occupational Health of NAMS of Ukraine», Kyiv
Full article (PDF), UKR
2 SE «Sumy State Research Institute of Fertilizers and Pigments»
3 State Sanitary-Epidemiological Service of Ukraine, SE «Hygienic Regulation Committee», Kyiv
Purpose. According to the results of the expertise of technological regulations of recycling foreign phosphates to evaluate factors, determining the content of toxic additives (taking Cd, Pb and As, as an example) in phosphate-containing fertilizers and to calculate concentrations of these compounds, applied into the soil, in comparison with their maximum allowable concentrations and clarkes. Methods. Sanitary-epidemiological expertise of technical standards on foreign phosphates, hygienic methods of assessment of the calculated concentrations of toxic elements, applied into the soil with phosphorus-containing fertilizers.
Results. The results of distribution of toxic additives (taking Cd, Pb, As, as an example) between the extracted phosphorus acid (being a source of P2O5 for phosphorus fertilizers) and phosphogypsum (waste products) at the stages of the technological process enable to recommend amendments to the TU 24.1-14005076-065-2003 "Foreign phosphorites" concerning their per¬missible levels in the raw material (input control), which guarantees provision of hygienic requirements in the use of phospho¬rus-containing fertilizers in compliance with the above regulations to their production technology and the application rates. Conclusion. It is recommended to make amendments in technical specifications TU 24.1-14005076-065-2003 "Foreign phos¬phorites", with further studying the quality of the crops, gained with the use of phosphorus-containing fertilizers.
Key words: phosphorites, technology regulations,processing, permissible levels for Cd, Pb, As, phosphorous-containing mineral fertilizers
- Vakal, S. V. 2008, Modern state in production of organophosphorus fertilizers, Collection of scientific works of Dniprodzerzhynsk State Technical University (technical sciences) «Modern problems in technology of nonorganic substances». Dniprodzerzhynsk, pp. 33-36 (in Russian).
- Уакак S. V., KHipovych, E. А., Zolotarev, А. Е., Snegur, Y. Y. 2007, «Apatite ore concentrate of Kropiv- nensky titanium- аpatite deposit. A perspective of using mineral fertilizers in industry», Khimichna promyslovist Ukrainy, no. 4, pp. 30-34 (in Russian).
- Vasylinych, Т 2011, «Studies on the process of the interaction of natural phosphates with hydrosulfates of alkali metals»,Visnyk Ternopilskogo Natsionalnogo Universytetu, Vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 237-242 (in Ukrainian).
- Vakal, S.V., Astrelin, І. М., 'f'rofimenko, М. О., Zolotaryov, О. E. 2005, «Modern state of phosphate-fertilizer industry in Ukraine». Sumy: Sobor, 80 p. (in Ukrainian).
- Zarecheny, V. G., Vakal, C. V. 2003. «Cadmium in phosphorus-containing mineral fertilizers», Khimichna promyslovist Ukrainy, no. 6, pp. 18-20 (in Ukrainian).
- 2001, «Analysis and Conclusion from Member States' Assessment of the Risks to Health and Environment from Cadmium in Fertilizers. Prepared for the European Commission (DG Enterprise)», Environmental Resources Managementhttp://ec.Commission (DG Enterprise) // Environmental Resources Management.- 2001.- http://ec.ueropa.eu/ enterprise/sector/chemicals/files/reports/ erm_503201_eu.pdf.ueropa.eu/enterprise/sector/chemicals/files/reports/erm_503201_eu.pdf.
- http://www.docstoc.com/docs/76927498/Compa- rison-of-Selected-fertilizer-Metal-Level-Standards-u.
- 2001, Ed. by Academician V. G. Mineyev «Text-book in agrochemistry: A manual», 2-nd edit., revised and amended, Russian Academy of Agricultural Sciences. М.: Moscow State University Publishing House. — 689 p. (in Russian).
- 1989, «Methodical instructions on defining heavy metals and arsenic in the soil of agricultural lands and in crop products». М.: TSINAO, 62 p. (in Russian).
- «Sanitary norms for allowable concentrations of chemicals in the soil: Sanitary regulations and norms 42-128-4433-87» (Approved by Ministry of Health of the USSR of 10.1987 № 4433-87) (in Russian).
- 2001, «Arsenic and Arsenic Compounds. Environmental Health Criteria», World Health Organization, Geneva, Vol. 224.
- 1992, «Cadmium. Environmental Health Criteria», World Health Organization, Geneva, Vol. 134.
- Sokolov, М. S. 1995, «Possibilities of having available ecologically safe crop products in conditions of the atmospheric pollution», Agrokhimiya, no. 6, pp. 107-125 (in Russian).
- 1995, «Lead. Environmental Health Criteria», World Health Organization, Geneva, Vol. 165.