Pelyo I. M.
TOXICOLOGICAL ASSESSMENT AND HYGIENIC RATING OF INSECTICIDE THIAMETHOXAM IN THE AIR
Bohomolets National Medical University, Kyiv
Full article (PDF), UKR
Introduction. A wide-scale application of preparations on the base of thiamethoxam and a variety of methods of their application can cause danger of pollution of the working zone air by thiamethoxam and, so, requires an appropriate sanitary control. Purpose of the study. Hygienic rating of thiamethoxam for the working zone air in packing, and application of thiamethoxambased preparations in agriculture.
Materials and methods. Studying toxicity and toxicodynamics of thiamethoxam in acute, subchronic and chronic effects on laboratory animals. The following methods have been used: bibliometric analysis of the scientific information, sanitaryhygienic expertise, natural and laboratory hygienic experiments, laboratory experiments on animals; chemical-analytical methods and calculation.
Results. It is established that insecticide thiamethoxam is referred to Class III of danger (a limitation criteria – general toxic effect) by the Hygienic Classification of Pesticides, 1998. It does not exert a selective action. A significant difference in thiamethoxam toxicity, the character of its metabolism and toxicodynamics, depending on the routes of entry into the body, and on the type of animals have not been recorded. It does not irritate skin and mucous membrane. Neurotoxic, embryotoxic and teratogenic effects have not been revealed. It is a carcinogen of Class III. Thiamethoxam is of low stability for environmental compartments. By its stability in soil and water it can be referred to Class III of danger (moderately dangerous) of the Hygienic Classification of Pesticides, 1998.
Conclusion. The value 1,2 mg/m3 of thiamethoxam is recommended as a MAC for the working zone air for production conditions. TSEL 0,5 mg/m3(a) is recommended for application in agriculture.
Key words: insecticides, thiamethoxam, toxicology, hygienic standards
- List of pesticides and agrochemicals, allowed for application in Ukraine. 2014, Official publication. Kyiv : Univest Media, 831 p. (in Ukrainian).
- Results of crop cultivation by the technology OptiTekh. 2007, Kyiv: Publishing House "Singenta", 312 p. (in Russian).
- Methodical instructions on hygienic assessment of new pesticides, 1988, approved by MH of the USSR on 13.03.1987, № 4263-87 (in Russian).
- General sanitary-hygienic requirements to the working zone air. 1991, GOST 12.1.005-88, Мoscow: Publishing of standards, 47 p. (in Russian).
- Sanotsky, I. V., Ulanova, P. 1975, Criteria of harmfulness in hygiene and toxicology for assessment of danger from chemical compounds. Moscow : Meditsina, 328 p. (in Russian.)
- Magnusson, B., Kligman, A. M. 1968, “The identification of contact allergens by animal assay. The Guinea Pig Maximization Test”, The Journal of Investigative Dermatology, v. 52, issue 3, pp. 268–277. https://doi.org/10.1038/jid.1969.42
- Methodical recommendations on substantiation of Tentative Safety Exposure Levels (TSEL) of pesticides for the working zone in their application in agriculture, 1982, № 2302-181: Approved on 17.03.81, Ministry of Health of the USSR, Кyiv, 16 p. (in Russian).
- Methodical instructions on the use of the calculation method for grounding Tentative safety exposure levels (TSEL) of harmful substances in the working zone air. 1977, 1599-77: Approved on 2.02.1977, Ministry of Health of the USSR, Мoscow, 15 p. (in Russian).
- Hygienic criteria on substantiation of the need to developing MACs and TSELs (TEL) of harmful substances for the working zone air, atmospheric air of settlements, water of water reservoirs. 1998, Hygienic norms, НN 1.1.701-98, Мoscow (in Russian).
- Methodical instructions on thiamethoxan detection in the working zone air and atmospheric air by gas chromatography method No 304-2001, Methodical instructions on detection of microquantities of pesticides in food products, fodder and the environment, 2004, Kyiv, № 37, pp. 189–193 (in Ukrainian).
- Tonder, J. E. 2001, “Agonist at the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors: structure-activity relationships and molecular modeling”, Curr Med. Chem, no. 8, pp. 651–674. https://doi.org/10.2174/0929867013373165
- Omelchuk, S. T., Korshun, O. M., Sasinovych, L. M. [et al.]. 2006, Comparative toxicological assessment of modern insecticides, applied in apple orchards, Scientific issues of Bohomolets National Medical University, no. 4, pp. 117–128 (in Ukrainian).
- Hygienic Classification of pesticides by their degree of danger, 1998, State sanitary rules and norms 8.8.1.002-98: Approved on 28.08.98, Ministry of Health of Ukraine, Кyiv, 20 p. (in Ukrainian).
- Acceptable doses, concentrations, quantities and levels of the content of pesticides in agricultural raw materials, food products, working zone air, atmospheric air, water of water reservoirs, soil: State sanitary rules and norms, 2001, 220.127.116.11.3.4.-000-2001:Approved on 20.09.01, Ministry of Health of Ukraine, Кyiv, 245 p. (in Ukrainian).
- Decree of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine on approval of values of hygienic standards for chemical substances in the working zone air, 2001, № 142 of 12.12.2001 (in Ukrainian).